Researchers develop 0.1mm flexible AMOLED display

Emil

Staff

The Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) in Taiwan has built a flexible 6-inch AMOLED display that is just 0.1mm thick, according to OLED-Info. The technology, named FlexUPD, reportedly enables a folding radius of 5cm or less while still being able to withstand repeated folding. In other words, it can continue to display images even when folded. The ITRI claims each display can be folded up to 15,000 times before showing signs of wear and tear.

FlexUPD's unique property is in its use of a "de-bonding layer" between the glass and flexible substrate, which sticks to the production glass substrate firmly during the entire fabrication process and is completely non-adhesive to the polyimide film stacked on top. This allows the active matrix backplane used for high-quality color displays to be flexible.

ITRI claims FlexUPD will prove to be the simplest and cheapest option for mass producing flexible displays. FlexUPD will be commercialized soon and companies are already announcing plans to use it for flexible e-reader products, although the institute has not yet provided pricing estimates or a production timeline.

The technology will be quite useful for gadgets such as the Amazon Kindle. Other large companies in the industry, including Sony and LG, are working on flexible e-paper displays as well. Nevertheless, we're still a long way off from the days when we can buy a newspaper built using a flexible and thin display and not have to worry about losing it on our way to work.

Permalink to story.

this would be so cool to have a "newspaper" that would download the days content every day.

That's really cool, but why would you need a flexible kindle? Maybe they break a lot from people dropping them. I've never had a kindle myself. I'm sure there will be lots of uses for this development other than the kindle. They could work on the "screen door" effect a little though...

It is products like these that make me feel like I am living in the future. Forget the flying car this is where it is at. I am sure there are uses for this thing that I cannot even think of right now.

It's like the newspaper from Harry Potter. Pretty soon we're going to have newspapers that have pictures that move possibly even videos.

maybe next you'll be ordering a newspaper that reads the articles to you...

this could be the thing that saves all of these newspaper companies that have been hit so hard by the economy transfering to digital news on the internet.

nice am sure it will be very useful in many ways

why every body talking about newspaper ? this product have like million use

I cant wait until this technology becomes publicly available. an OLED newspaper would be awesome. or a secondary monitor that you can roll up and put in your bag.

Awesome to see more of this tech being developed. Would be nice to have something you can roll up in your bag and be able to get all kinds of internet updates.

Imagine a suit made of this that displays whats behind you as to make you camoflauged and almost 100% transparent. Now all we need is some infrared/xray/night vision eye contacts and we are on par with the Predator.

i can think of alot of applications for this like "video ads on cars" and "computer screens on clothes" you could stick them any where there's power just fold them out set it up like a projector screen minus the projector and instant video!

That is just cool :D, makes me think of all the awesome things in science fiction that we might one day all be able to enjoy.

Thats cool stuff

finally a screen you can stuff in your pocket without worrying that it going to break when you sit down

Maybe one day you can go to the store and purchase your TV by the Foot!

I think this technology will be the future of display technologies everywhere. It might still be in its infancy, but damn if it isn't fricken cool to see it coming about!

could we maybe someday see this technology integrated into a shirt??? just think of all the sports that gonna have advertisement on their players shirts Lol...

but yeah, the day we see newspapers made of this, I don't think that it'll be during my life time :( (you never know though, the last 50years were leaps and bounds in term of technology jumps)

Harry Potter may not be too far away in terms of the Newspaper pictures moving! Awesome technology, I think newspapers and magazines would cost a bit more though than they do now! ;)

Awesome!! Definately technology makes our lives easier, I can imagine lots of use for this, but mostly how thin and flexible cellphones will become in the near future...

I've seen this type of technology before, I thought on techspot. HP had a prototype display that would roll down like a projector screen. Its pretty neat technology...

rebelflag said:
this would be so cool to have a "newspaper" that would download the days content every day.

This is so cool, it's getting closer and closer to screens being 'weightless' like the Holovids in Ratchet & Clank games haha =)

And about the news paper thing I think it would be VERY costly to use this technology in the way of newspapers =P

I sometimes travel by train and there's newspapers left there from people who have read them and just leave them to pass on to others, I don't think anyone would leave this kind of thing behind.

I think this would be incredible for new phones or hand held gaming. It could be a kind of 'roll-out' film screen, you just unclip a little pin and then unroll a rolled up screen like this to watch a film, would be much more compact for having a big screen =)

I would like to see the day when we don't need to buy papers every day,instead,just download and read in the morning, drinking coffee .

Yes with this I can bring a notecard with PAGES of information on it to school :)

Science ever advancing.............
a side note "Scientists have teleported something 3 feet away in two conatiners"
thats is both scary and sweet at the same time....
imagine the destruction that can be caused by teleported a bomb from he to somewhere else....

Back