Results of 8 Step virus spyware removal and Explorer Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone this is my first post..

Here are the results of my 8 step process. I am still having an issue that I thought would be solved after following these steps. My issue is this: I'm running xp Pro just this week my Windows Explorer Started acting up when I right click or try to do just about anything Explorer tells me there is an error and it has to close. Any suggestions?

Windows Explorer Error

I mentioned this error in my previous post but was unable to add attachments when I tried to edit it. I followed the 8 step spyware removal steps so my computer should be clean. I haven't received any replys yet regarding the txt files I uploaded for review.

I am running XP Pro Service Pack 3. Here's my problem, the only thing explorer will do is let me switch directories, that's it whenever I try to use the menus or right click I get the infamous Windows Explorer error saying it has to shut down, The date on my explorer exe is 4/14/08. I can't even right click the icons on my desktop. I have included a screen shot of the error, the text file windows creates when you want to send it off to Microsoft. I've done this twice have haven't received any links taking me to possible solutions and another txt file of steps I've tried to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

I had a good look at all your logs
You are still suffering from Malware infection, please do the following:

Uninstall your Norton Internet Security (seeming it's not helping!)
Then run the Norton Removal tool

Restart

Install Avira free AntiVirus

Start up Malwarebytes again; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed
Save the last (clean) log to be attached to a new reply

Download Combofix Instructions

• Download Combofix to your desktop.
  • Rename ComboFix to ComboF
  • Double click ComboF & follow the prompts.
  • A window will open with a warning.
  • When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log.

My New Results

Hi Kimsland

The Virus scan found a "Drop.Softomat.AN Trojan" infecting my computer. My Explorer seems to be working now, so maybe my machines finally clean. Thanks for all the help!

Here are my results following the steps you gave me.

You have way too many startups
Please turn all of them off except AntiVirus
This tool can do that for you: => http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Also run HJT Scan only and check these two and then select Fix (with all browsers closed first)
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:9022
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1;mail.kurtzarch.com;<local>

Clear & Reset System Restore's Cache

Go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste control sysdm.cpl,,4 and then press Enter
* Tick on the checkbox - Turn off System Restore on all drives
* Click Apply
Turn it back 'On' by unticking the same checkbox & click Apply, and then OK

Fix System Restore
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123379.html

Un-install Combofix
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK
  • CF_Cleanup.png
  • When shown the disclaimer, Select "2"
(Note: 1 space after ComboFix in that uninstall command)

Finally restart to a better system :grinthumb

Hi Kimsland,

I didn't fix those (2) lines because I recognize them. Do they still need to be fixed? Other than that, I used the startup tool you suggested and turned off a lot of the programs that were firing up. The computer does startup much faster now. Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back