RIAA, MPAA and others outline anti-piracy plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Just days after the U.S. Government published a piracy study that pointed out the questionable methods used by some entities to estimate monetary losses from copyright infringement, the RIAA, MPAA and several others are using those same statistics to get a new anti-piracy campaign approved. Details of their Joint Strategic Plan submitted to the US Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator have been released, and it makes for an interesting read.

The submission (PDF) starts off citing how the rampant theft of intellectual property is harming the entertainment industry as well as the United States as a whole, and calls for new solutions to make meaningful inroads into the problem. Proposed methods include everything from bandwidth shaping and throttling, to site blocking and even encouraging users to install anti-piracy software on their own machines that would detect and potentially erase infringing content.

Other non-technological solutions include an educational program for online advertisers, financial payment services providers and the general public to spread awareness of how piracy affects the industry. They also suggest customs officials inquire travelers about any infringing content they -- willingly or not -- are bringing through the border (Like ripped movies on your laptop, the music on your portable player and the book you were reading on the plane).

The document goes on to mention ways of pressuring other countries into toughening up their IP protection laws, and funding new enforcement programs (at the taxpayer's expense) for the FBI and Department of Homeland Security to pro-actively prevent the leaking of summer blockbusters ahead of their debut. Of course, this is nothing more than recommendations, but it serves to show how adamant these organizations are in protecting their business model.

Permalink to story.

Why don't we just agree to stop using our PCs and go back to paying $15 for a CD. That should satisfy them.

The biggest thing they are worried about is a leak of their blockbuster titles. HAHAHAHAH

You guys might be laughing but I think I'll be laughing more when the first anti-piracy curriculum classes start in America being taught to your kids.

DON'T DOWNLOAD LADY GAYGAY KIDS!

"install anti-piracy software on their own machines"
Who would willingly download something that finds infringing content? What would stop said software from sending a report to the RIAA/MPAA. Then they would actually have proof of copyright infringement...

ROFL.

I knew they would sing a new song after U.S. Government published a piracy study.

What RIAA is doing, is milking companies for their own profit by billing hours and hours of nonsense at hourly rate.

The movie companies, musicians, etc, should be suing RIAA for how much money the lost with little to no gain.

While I agree that the 'entertainment' industry charges too much for their stuff due to pure greed it is never fun being an unsuspecting victim of piracy fraud (ie. you thought you purchased the real deal).

everytime I hear the entrtainment industry whine about lost $$$, I go copy something.

<sigh>

Copying is NOT THEFT!. IP or otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-el84ABpN5c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcvd5JZkUXY&feature=channel

Maybe those two videos will explain it in easy terms so those stupid big MAFIAA's can understand it...

I always thought that the law should do whatever the RIAA wants with one provision: all the money the RIAA wins (or settles) goes directly to the artists -- not even to pay the lawyers.

impossible to enforce to much countries involved will take 100 or more years to get through all the politics needed to set up some rules gg ria and mpaa torrents win

There is a disconnect between the long-legged mack daddies that run the RIAA, MPAA and the consumer in the many shades of gray with online distribution of music and movies.

This is about censorship of the internet, those videos of the US forces masacuring civilians in Afghanistan are copyright of the US Government, so if we have a copyright police state.....get the idea... it protects the government from whistle blowers.

Put metal detectors and scan everyone who walks into the theater. But what about who those who screen movies on DVD or B-Ray. It's crazy but trying to stop a pirate is like trying to stop someone of gambling where there are so much access to ATM it's not funny. Computers were here way before all of this crap started. To force all to go back to the theater to watch a movie that can cost you up to 100 bucks if you decided to bring a few friends and family along plus dig deep for extra expensive bottle water pint size, soda, popcorn an etc. I didn't see them stopping those who hand sneak in KFC an etc into the theater. Now they're going after people just because they don't want to pay for music CD, movies on DVD, computer software, games, OS all sort of thing just like skies the limit. Then you got the ISP driving up prices for you to pay for 5mbps down, 15mbps, down, 25mbps down, 50mbps what are suppose to do with all that bandwidth just look at pictures of trees and look at your friends and family on facebook. Too much protection. This is America let freedom rule! I am just saying!

Create a quality product at a competitive price and piracy goes the way of the dodo! You will never stop piracy.....

The current presidential administration and his elected lib cronies are just about insane enough in their quest to control every aspect of life that this rotten piece of garbage could conceivably get passed into law. Remember the pitch? "Change" ...well, now we got it. Glad? They were dumb enough to pass ObamaCare, so don't think for a minute they won't be dumb enough to pass this one, too.

Agree. You can't fix stupid. If they were to pass this pile of doodoo, I wonder how many bazillion dollars in new taxes they would need to extract from our wallets to support their anti-piracy program. Our current administration is a complete joke.

What are you last two posters talking about? Your comments have nothing to do with this article and make no sense.

You people bring all this crap down on yourselves. I will only buy what music I deem necessary, I watch >>free broadcast TV, refuse to pay for cable or a smart phone, and have no need whatsoever for an iPad, a Kindle reader, or to be able to watch "Avatar" on an iPhone. The more s*** you think you can't live without, is more s*** that will be loaded up with DRM. Read a book, starve a lawyer. Rent a movie from RedBox, starve a lawyer. Watch "CSI; Miami, starve a lawyer, and if you don't buy anything from the commercials, you can starve the advertisers right along with their lawyers.

Man... I had no idea the problem was this bad.
I had to go download a pirated copy of Photoshop off usenet because I was so upset.
Thank god that the free copy doesn't make me jump through hoops agreeing to terms I don't agree with and entering multiple serial numbers or installing dongles with USB sticks I have to pay $40 extra for or a dozen other things cause I could actually get straight to the program without any hassles. I figure there's probably going to be some bugs in it cause you take that risk with pirated software but then again... every time I buy software these days, it's so full of bugs and requires so many updates that it's not that much different from buying it anyways.
I guess the good thing is... instead of wasting $1000 on a program I use maybe once every year, I can just throw this free thing on my computer and it's there if I need it without totally bankrupting me with a ton of bloated features nobody ever uses.
So... all the best of luck with that 'anti-piracy' thing you guys. :)

captaincranky said:
You people bring all this crap down on yourselves. I will only buy what music I deem necessary, I watch >>free broadcast TV, refuse to pay for cable or a smart phone, and have no need whatsoever for an iPad, a Kindle reader, or to be able to watch "Avatar" on an iPhone. The more s*** you think you can't live without, is more s*** that will be loaded up with DRM. Read a book, starve a lawyer. Rent a movie from RedBox, starve a lawyer. Watch "CSI; Miami, starve a lawyer, and if you don't buy anything from the commercials, you can starve the advertisers right along with their lawyers.

CaptainCranky..you sir are a genius :)

hello ...

hey @ one of the 'Guest's ... the dodo is copyrighted to Mauritius & i have legal right to use it, LOL .. unless you too from the island!

we have fair usage policy applied with the ISP, you download a lot ,, you get your speed downgrade, yet it doesn't apply when you do legal stuffs i guess, i use a lot of bandwidth from my slow connection, mostly for game trailers streaming/downloading, PSN downloads, online gaming & audio stream.

piracy is bad, in any form but yet not that alarming. it's causing more harm to smaller developers (indy) & not so famous artists. blockbusters make money & big software companies too, for those paying legit stuff (like me) must be paying for 2 - 3 users with the price practiced.

yes, a quality product at a good price would diminish piracy, to meet CaptainCranky statement, 1st i agree with you too. we do look for big things while we don't use all features, we do have some great alternatives. we have a lot of free stuffs! @ last 'Guest' why don't you try artweaver or GIMP, or so many other alternatives.

for every software package i've found cheaper or free solutions, whether it be portable or installable versions, so why can't most of us.

i listen to same music on PC from legal stream sites, OK i pay for SAT TV, but who doesn't these days, so i stick to all series & Movies in HD or not while buying a few blu-rays cheap online, i don't have time to go though 100s of movies, don't see the point of downloading anymore (huhumm....)

I buy games off steamy sites ... they are cheap!, i rarely play games off my PC these days, but will soon! I play on PS3 (have around 30 games) ... have time for only 1 or 2 ... others taking dust ...

so yes, piracy is like a 'gimmick' allowing us to have more content, that probably we can purchase at a real good price at the time we need them or get free alternatives.

France adopted HADOPI LAW, UK the digital financial whatever law, in my small country the MASA did close down a lot of DVD shops selling only copies, they succeeded in making people buy original local artists (we are proud of it now) ... but there's still a lot to do to eradicate piracy! this depend on us consumers, who knows maybe then the developers would dare go that extra mile & deliver what we want!

sorry for long post (again!)

cheers!

even encouraging users to install anti-piracy software on their own machines that would detect and potentially erase infringing content.

You've got to be out of your mind to give anyone free will to delete your data.
This is exactly the type of control that must be avoided at any cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back