Rift suddenly unplayable with Nvidia 9800GT

I have been using a Nvidia 9800 gt vid card and have really only played one game using it. Had Rift going for a few weeks running fine on high/ultra graphics. One day I hop on and the game is unplayable due to skipping. Shortly after the blue screen pops up and shuts down the computer due to nvidia failure. I update the drivers, uninstalled then reinstalled them as well. Nothing seems to work. I have completely wiped out the computer and now am back to normal except the game will not run unless on lowest graphics (and is still choppy).

Just wondering the direction i should take.

Kind of sounds like you might have an over heating problem. Have you tried setting the fan manually? Although, if everything has been working fine up to this point it could also be a power related issue or the card itself.

Everything is practically brand new. Power supply and video card were both purchased about 2 months ago. Would hope the product lasts longer than that. As far as the over heating the problems began on booting up after being off for about 12 hours. Hoping to not have to buy a brand new card for this.

Shortly after the blue screen pops up and shuts down the computer due to nvidia failure....Just wondering the direction i should take....Would hope the product lasts longer than that
If you already know that it's the card that is failing then RMA it since everything is only two months old- although from the tenor of the posting I'm going to say its a minor league trolling attempt.

BTW: You do know that 9800GT's have been effectively EOL for quite some time

Not a trolling attempt. I just know very little about computers and was looking for somthing I may be missing. The card being new as in I bought it only 2 months ago, I know it is out of date in quility. But it is looking like there is only one solution (Buy a new one). Unless there is anything else that can be done for it.

If the system is 2 months old then I would advise to contact whomever you bought the system from- I doubt you got a curbside warranty so you should be covered. If you "know very little about computers" then troubleshooting the cause could prove time consuming- and possibly warranty voiding depending on where you got the system. Many OEM's like HP and Dell have a habit of plastering their builds with tamper-proof stickers - the "warranty void if broken" kind.

Back