Right Click Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinetic87

Hi,

The problem goes like this....

whenever I right clicked on a folder full of files, it will start to hang there. The hourglass will take like about 10 mins before it disappear before the pop up appears.

I've no idea on solving this. Tried reading the solutions online but still to no avail. It only happens when I right clicked on a folder or a drive. As for a single file, it doesn't pose a problem at all.

Why is this so? I dont think my computer has been infected with virus/malware because it has just been reformated.

Because of this problem, I've tried to do my work without using right click which is really a hassle. Please help me!!

Thanks,
Sinetic87

Hello, Sinetic87, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, it may be because your drive is too fragmented, run the windows defragmenter or get a program like IObit SmartDefrag and defragment your hard drive

I've tried defragmenting it already but still it doesn't work. Could there be like some problems with the registry or processes? I'm new to this kinda things so please pardon me.

=)
Sinetic87

it is possible that you have conflicting processes that are slowing your pc down and causing it to freeze when you right click

do a right click in a file foler, then press ctrl + alt + del to bring up your task manager (for windows xp - if you're using vista press ctrl + shift + esc) and see what processes have the highest number in the CPU column, however it is normal for System Idle Processes to be high pretty much all the time so ignore that one :)

no problem mate :D learn by doing, i say ;)

This is a common problem

Cause :

A program has a added an entry in your right click menu,that Windows doesn`t like.

It is usually the last program you installed.

Solutions :

1. Uninstall the last program you installed,or look in it`s options to see

if you can disable Explorer extensions.

Or

2. Remove the entries from the registry.See HERE

Or

3 Use ShellexView to list all your context menu entries,then disable the baddy.See HERE

Daveskater, I've tried using your method and have found out that the maximum number in the CPU column is only 3 to 5. The processes are

lsass.exe
Acsvc.exe
System
Svchost.exe
csrss.exe

I dont think these are the cause for the right click problem because the CPU number is not that significantly high right?

Hey Po ` Girl, I've tried to disable the context menu handlers but the problem is still there.

Is my problem very uncommon? I've searched through the internet and everyone said that the way to solve this is what you guys have told me to do. What can be the problem? I'm really at my wits end.

I'm willing to try all kinds of ways just to get my laptop running smooth again. = ) Thanks!

sinetic87 said:
Is my problem very uncommon? !

No,it`s a very common problem.

It`s almost always caused by a newly installed program,putting

an entry in the right click menu,that causes Windows to go

looking for something that isn`t where it`s looking.:)

There are occasionally other issues with networked drives,

that no longer exist.

Here is a screenshot of my ShellexView read out.Note the AVG entry I`ve

highlighted as an example.Look for any non-Microsoft entries in your read out.

It won`t hurt to disable any of the non-Microsoft things.

Untitled7666.jpg

But I've tried to disable them already. I've disabled all the non-microsoft handlers. Then I tried to right click on a folder, and then the problem is still there.

Is there any other cause for this other than the context handler?

Thanks,
Sinetic87

Here are all the possible causes I`ve heard of -

- Context menu entry,as above,including Divx,Adobe,Spysweeper,Nvidia,Spyware of any kind.

- A recently unmapped network drive or folder that Windows can`t find.

The only other things I can suggest you do, are :

- Post an html report of your Shellex log,somewhere we can take a look at it.

- System Restore might be an option, if you have any suitable restore points.

- I`ve just noticed that the Winamp context entries don`t appear in ShellexView,

so your problem entry might not appear in it either - ho hum.

You`ve disabled most of the ones I would have suggested,

so I suggest you try the Nuclear option -

- Disable all the context menu entries then

restart the computer.

- If that doesn`t work,disable all the icon handlers,and restart.

Then all the property sheet handlers.

- If your connected to a LAN disconnect from that.

- other than that I can`t think what else it could be.

maybe the system file checker would fix something - sfc /scannow

Po `Girl,

I have tried all the ways you have suggested but still none works. Is there really no other ways to solve the problem?

Don't tell me I need to use the last resort which is to reformat? I really don't wish to.

Thanks,
Sinetic87

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

This is a bit of a long shot, but do you have Iomega Hotburn or Eraser installed?

If so, uninstall them and see if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi sorry for the late reply, I sent my laptop to my friend for a check and he doesn't seem to solve it either.

I've found out something. Not only i right click on a folder, when I do a CTRL+C on a folder, the same thing happens.

I think my problem is a bit of unusual, isn't it? It's very troublesome not to use right click man.

Sinetic87

Try howard's suggestion of uninstalling Iomega Hotburn or Eraser if you have them, if you don't then personally I would try a Windows Repair Install

Does the folder contain a lot of compressed files (e.g. zip files) ? If so, then windows is spending ages just unzipping these so you can view them in case you want to. this is one of the more stupid things in XP - it's called zip folder support, and you can switch it off with a registry entry

Regsrvr32 /u zipfldr

Thanks Howard and gbhall for your suggestions. I've tried them but to no avail.

Gbhall, the folder doesn't contain only zip files. Folders that contain songs, pictures or word files do have that problem too. Is is possible that some windows files are already corrupted and I have to do the repair install?

Sinetic87

you could try running SFC.EXE (in system32) first. It checks that protected system files are as they should be. I think it offers to replace any that are corrupt or over-written.

you could try running SFC.EXE (in system32) first. It checks that protected system files are as they should be. I think it offers to replace any that are corrupt or over-written.

The big drag of a system repair is it puts you back to the original install condition SP1/SP2 whatever, and ALL updates from MS since then have to be re-installed, a process that can take hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back