Right hand side of Start menu black

By Jazsy
Jul 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I have a PC desktop HP Compaq Presario, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor, 37000+1.GB of RAM, Windows XP Version 2002, Service Pack 3.
    A week ago the start menu under start menu on the right hand side went completely black!! When I switch it to Classic Start Menu and go to Programs the list is there; icons visible, but the description is missing. Only way to know what the program is is I scroll my mouse over each individual icon.
    In tried a system restore but that did not make a difference.
    Is it to do with my graphics card??
  2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,335   +49

Try this post for some suggestions http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/start-menu-all-program-not-showing-empty.50959/ OK, it's a 2006 post, but your OS dates from before that ! :)

It is worth finding where icon size is defined, and changing it (then change back). This forces a rebuild of the icon cache.

Unfortunately, other reasons for this behaviour can be a malware infection. http://www.techspot.com/community/forums/virus-and-malware-removal.28/ In that case you can be in a world of pain, but our malware help people are very good - it helps a lot if you are fairly expert though !
  3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

There are several very active rootkits now that can cause programs, icons, file, etc. to appear to be missing. You can run the following, but please note the disclaimer:

1. Download Unhide.exe and save to the desktop.
    • Double-click on Unhide.exe icon to run the program.
    • This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives.
    Note: This does not remove the malware- only the attribute that hides icons and programs. It is important that you continue.
    ---------------------------------------
    Additionally, Some items may not show on the Start menu. To add them back:
    • Right click on Start> Properties
    • Taskbar and Start Menu Properties screen appears
    • choose Start Menu tab> Click on Customize
    • For Windows XP> Choose Advanced tab
    • Check the items you want back on the Start Menu
    • When finished> click on OK> Apply and close.
    --------------------------------------
    Please note: If the problems have been caused by malware, the above are only 'cosmetic' help. I recommend that move to the Virus and Malware forum as suggested, start a thread there with the logs you get after running the scans

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.