Rockstar announces GTA V, first trailer coming November 2

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Confirming months of hearsay, Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive have announced that the next installment of Grand Theft Auto is in the pipeline. The companies have posted a teaser page for the upcoming entry, aptly titled Grand Theft Auto V, but details are scant. As of writing, Rockstar's homepage displays the game's logo, which includes the Roman numeral "V" encircled by a banner with the word "Five."

It looks like what you'd expect to find on a bank note, but we're not sure what that means -- if anything. Wikipedia's GTA V entry claims the logo is stylized after British currency, but we haven't been able to confirm that (feel free to comment if you can say otherwise). If true, perhaps that implies the game will be based in England, which would be somewhat of a first for the series (the original had two London expansions).

That doesn't seem particularly farfetched considering GTA has been primarily developed in the UK. Rockstar North (formerly DMA Design), Rockstar Lincoln (formerly Tarantula Studios), and Rockstar Leeds (formerly Mobius Entertainment) are all UK-based and have been responsible for producing virtually every GTA game, barring one Game Boy Advance title and the occasional help from US or Canadian studios.

Hopefully we'll know next Wednesday, November 2 when the company is expect to release the game's first trailer. Regardless of its setting, if past entries are any indication, GTA V will be one of the best-selling games of 2012 -- assuming it isn't poised for a holiday 2011 release. GTA has been a big earner, selling more than 114 million units since 1997. GTA IV and its expansions alone have sold over 28 million copies.

A vast majority of those sales are on consoles as the PC versions of GTA undoubtedly receive less development attention and they tend to feel wonky with a keyboard and mouse. In fact, starting with GTA III, PC versions have routinely received lower review scores. GTA IV in particular had lousy optimization issues at launch. Besides smooth gameplay, what do you hope Rockstar's latest addition will bring to the franchise?

Permalink to story.

Hopefully they'll make driving fun again in game, god I hated it in GTA4. Oh yeah and better optimize it for PC so I won't need a Xeon X7560 to run the damn game...

A friendly warning to guests: it takes infinitely less effort for us to delete your posts than it does for you to type them. Keep that in mind before you start trolling.

Yea I bought GTA IV on steam when it was on sale a while ago, I am missing some shader thing :( Couldn't play.

Great news! I was one of the few who really, really enjoyed GTA IV. I have played the single player in full 3 times since I got it. Admittedly though, because of the severe stability and performance issues I didn't buy it until it was about $8 on Steam. It was absolutely worth that money.... I would've paid more if it worked properly.

I have to disagree with modena though, I think the driving in 4 was excellent. All the cars behaved as expected, such as RWD cars vs FWD. The physics were somewhat realistic but not too realistic to take the fun out of it. I spent hours and hours just driving for fun. I also had a strange fascination with getting the car that looked like a Ferrari F430 and smashing the front end up so bad both the front wheels were completely locked up, but because it was mid-engined it was still driving even with the front end destroyed. Simple pleasures I guess....

I am a lover of big, open environments where you can seamlessly travel across it... this was always one of my favorite things about the GTA games was just the huge environment. And the attention to detail in 4 was excellent, making it feel like a real city, and all the destructible objects just made it better.

I hope we see a lot of these things in GTA 5, except the performance issues. It could also use a better story, but I had enough fun with the game to forgive the story shortcomings. I know not everyone is like me and must have a good story though...

Here's hoping for a successful PC release... if they decide to make one. After all, if they are going to release it a year after consoles and not even bother to optimize it, then better not make one.

PS: Lol, good one Matt.

I like it how, instead of just having V and letting the customers come to the realization that V means five, they even dumbed it down and put the word 'five' there.

The funny part is, they probably need to.
HURR SMASH AND KILL AND CARS AND NASCAR N 'MERICA THU GREATEST!!!

When I played GTA4, I had to wonder where all the mayhem went. Instead of grabbing flamethrowers to make my own fireworks, I was grabbing my 'brother' to go ogle rendered strippers. Fun... fun... fun...

Instead of being able to jump out of a plane, land next to a golf cart, and run from the entire National Guard, I was able to... watch Kat Williams? Yay... I guess...

It just felt like I was running errands, albeit ones where many people ended up dead. But I never had fun doing it. It was as if Rockstar had made a checklist of all the things people loved about Vice City and San Andreas, shredded it, and then told those people to go buy Saints Row 2 instead.

Not to mention the horrible porting issues, and constant crashes I experienced on my modern PC. It appears many people still experience problems today.

I'm looking forward to this trailer though, and I really want to like GTA5 when it comes out. But until then, I have Saints Row: The Third, I guess.

At this point, my only wish would be that a PC version would actually be available... each release the PC version gets worse with less sales, and I'm not sure that I can convince myself to get a console, just don't see it happening :)

@ DokkRokken I cant wait for saints row the third to!!!!!

Ok so I dont stray to far off subject... The only thing I didn't like about GTA4 was how bad the faces were. Especially when you had so many cut sceens that showed them up close.

I was under the impresshion that GTA5 wouldn't come out on the PS3 could this mean the PS4 is right around the corrner? I really hope they implement Directx11 (tesselation) into GTA5 making the faces better and more distruction with cars like wheels flying off! I really liked the car parts everywhere in saints row 2!

Some of you didn't like the story in GTA4 did you guys ever pay they expansions aka Ballad of Gay Tony? and were they better or worse to you?

Anyway I am very excited to see the trailer and cant wait to see how the graphics look.

Its about time, Call of Duty is out every year getting it done. We gotta wait for years before we get another GTA

Really ready for GTA V.... Feels like I've been waiting for years... They should make one every two years in fairness to us, their fans

I'll take san andreas gameplay (maybe in a different setting) with current gen graphics. That is all.

I never understood how GTA4 ran fine on my PS3 but lagged on my computer which had hardware about 10x as powerful as my PS3. Hopefully that doesn't happen with GTA5. I also hope they actually release it on PC. I've been playing GTA on PC since the GTA (1).

Whoever said that about Call of Duty... COD gets a new story every year, released as a "new game". RockStar creates an entirely new game with every GTA release...

I would love this game to be set in the future!!!!! **** the 70's and the 60's go to the 2030's

Guest said:
Really ready for GTA V.... Feels like I've been waiting for years... They should make one every two years in fairness to us, their fans

You should pay them $60 in advance, in fairness to the developers. It's not like the spent $100 million making their last game....oh wait.

Julio said:
Here's hoping for a successful PC release... if they decide to make one. After all, if they are going to release it a year after consoles and not even bother to optimize it, then better not make one.

PS: Lol, good one Matt.

Dang, forgot about that year delay. Grumble. Grumble.

Of course technically I still need to finish GTA IV, that helicopter jumping bug screwed me over at the last second, giving me the gaming analogy of "the penguin".

Am I the only one that thinks GTA IV sucked?

I loved Vice City and San Andreas; IV tried too hard to be realistic.

Back