Roku could manufacture its own television sets

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Roku is reportedly exploring the possibility of manufacturing its own branded television sets. The decision could be in response to ongoing supply chain issues that have made it harder for some manufacturers to gets sets to consumers. The problem indirectly impacts Roku’s ability to grow its subscriber base, so one potential solution could be to cut out the middleman entirely and manufacture its own televisions.

A source familiar with the matter, who attended a focus group hosted by Roku earlier this month, told Business Insider that the company showed off a variety of models with varying feature sets, price points, screen sizes and names.

To be clear, Roku already licenses its smart TV platform to existing set makers, and some of them use the Roku brand name to market their sets. The moderator of the focus group reportedly made it clear that “this is a manufacturing operation.”

A different source told the publication Roku has been focused on manufacturing TV sets for more than a year. “They recognized that owning the last bit of branding made a lot of sense, particularly if you are going into content,” the source was quoted as saying.

Business Insider's report was first published last week but flew under the radar until recently. Share value in Roku is up more than eight percent on the day.

The set-top box maker has also seen an uptick in competition as of late from rivals like Samsung and Vizio. Even Amazon is getting in on the historically low-margin business, with plans to launch its own branded televisions later this year.

Permalink to story.

I am not interested in buying a Roku TV. I do find this interesting, but I bet that they will find their own set of supply chain issues if they decide to go through with this.

I don't think these would be big sellers. Personally, I don't like Roku, the remote sucks.

How about making a media player that will play multiple formats? Or a remote with actual letter keys to use when searching? I like my Roku TV, but there are areas of improvement to be made before taking on such a task as manufacturing your own sets.

I'm ditching Fire TV sticks for Roku sticks because the Amazon devices stopped pairing with my Harmony remotes, and half of my Fire sticks stopped connecting to my Amazon Recast OTA tuner. Quite nice that Roku just shows shortcuts to my apps, instead of defaulting to an entire screen full of ads and propaganda.

I buy TVs based in image quality and PC compatibility, so if Roku plays in that market I'd consider them.

How about making a media player that will play multiple formats? Or a remote with actual letter keys to use when searching? I like my Roku TV, but there are areas of improvement to be made before taking on such a task as manufacturing your own sets.
On the contrary, I'm glad my Roku TV doesn't have a keyboard on the remote. My previous TV did and the keyboard didn't work with every app while the Roku App lets me use my smartphone to type in any text field. That said, I'm sure since Roku has such a notable OS they could implement a keyboard into a remote that works across all apps, but my Roku TV also only has a physical power button on it and no others, so I doubt they're inclined to add in more buttons.

The Roku App definitely distinguishes itself imo, considering it also lets me search content across all apps on my TV, bookmark that content, send it to my TV, listen to my TV using headphones (with almost 0 latency), and screen share from my iPhone. None of these were even an option in my prior experiences with smart TVs.

I will never own a TV that requires my email address to work. They don't need that information.

I bought some Roku equipped TVs for guest bedrooms, and the one thing they have in common is a dreadfully slow reaction to the remotes, and app load times. I don't know if that is the case with their box units, but built in Roku is just painful.

I feel with TV OS getting more capable over the years, Roku is certainly feeling the heat. As the market shrinks and more competitors out there, I can understand why Roku will want to produce the "full package". I used a Roku TV stick then because it offers all the streaming apps on it. But with the new TV, all the streaming apps I need can be found on it. So now the TV stick is just gathering dust behind my monitor.

Back