Rumor: 28nm Radeon HD 7970 and 7950 to arrive in January

Jos

Staff

New 28nm desktop graphics chips from AMD are set to arrive in January 2012, according to a report on Fudzilla. Originally expected to hit the market by the end of 2011, the site claims to have word from "multiple industry sources" that Tahiti won't materialize until the New Year, with the new series adopting the Radeon HD 7xxx branding.

Tahiti will be the direct successor to Cayman, currently powering AMD's Radeon HD 6900 series, and is expected to come in XT and PRO variants. Although specific models haven't been announced yet, if AMD sticks to their current GPU naming scheme then we can expect the new cards to debut as the Radeon HD 7970 and Radeon HD 7950.

Both will be single-GPU products, replacing existing Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950 models, while a dual-GPU variant combining two Tahiti chips is expected to arrive later in 2012 as the Radeon HD 7990 (aka New Zealand). The latter is reportedly scheduled for a March release but it could slip into early Q2 2012.

The Radeon HD 7900 series will mark the arrival of AMD's new Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture, which was first revealed in June and is supposed to create a GPU that performs well at both graphical and computing tasks.

Permalink to story.

Glad I past the 6000 series. IMO they are releasing gpus to fast.
Why? Do you live in an world ruled by AMD and are forced into buying every new release?....of course not, you just said you "past" on the HD6000 series.

More choice and the freedom to choose is good, right?

I think the folks who got 4890's at $160 and past over the 57XX and, now will get 6950 1Gb for $180 will be in the sweet spot for a while. It's a little to early and unknow on performance/price t if "Tahiti"... will be as nice of spot to go hang.

does this mean these new GPUs will be faster and yet be easier on the PSU? I wonder how much power it'll take to crossfire these as they would obviously be more efficient than the old 6950 and 6970...

The 6 series wasn't much of an upgrade from the 5 series ATI cards. I'm still happy with crossfired 5850, running all games maxed out still.

Maybe the 7950 will sucker me in. Hopefully games will start taking advantage of this power.

Atham said:
So should I get a HD 6950 for Christmas or not? What do you think?

I just bought a 6950 2GB last week and unlocked it to a 6970. It runs BF3 on high at around 70fps(1920x1080) so I'm quite content.

But for Christmas? I might wait if you're getting it near the end of December. That's really close to the rumoured launch of the 7xxx cards.

They are not releasing "gpus to fast". (that was a quote hence quotation)

They are just not releasing video cards with enough preformance gain to make a viable upgrade fast enough.

"They are just not releasing video cards with enough preformance gain to make a viable upgrade fast enough."

Ughh this..The 6000 series, while albeit decent, started off as a subpar rebranding. Not that the 500 series cards weren't either with minimal improvements.

wccf tech says 30% lower power consumption vs the 6000 series. That's pretty awesome!

Back