Rumor: iPad 3 will launch in 3-4 months, suppliers claim

Rick

Apple's Asian part suppliers believe the secretive company is gearing up to releases its latest iPad in a mere three to four months. According to Digitimes' sources, iPad 2 production is beginning to ramp down while parts for a new tablet have begun to make their way through the supply chain.

This release date conveniently coincides with the spring precedent already set by two previous iPad launches. Although Digitimes frequently hits the proverbial nail on its head, they miss it just about as much. In other words, the information is likely solid but you probably should not plan your wedding day around the iPad 3 launch.

Also, according to Apple's supply chain partners, production of the new iPad is expected to weigh in at just under 10 million units during Q1 of next year. That is a substantial number, most likely due an expectation that original iPad owners will upgrade to Apple's latest tablet offering. Conversely, iPad 2 production is expected to drop to 4-5 million for Q1 of 2012, the implication being that sales will be cannibalized by the iPad 3.

Sales reports for the first three quarters of 2011 show iPad sales have already topped 25 million units. That number is expected to increase about 60% before the end of Q4, totaling an impressive 40 million Apple tablets sold this year alone.

The latest iPad is thought to finally include a "Retina" display with a pixel density similar to recent iPhones. That means the iPad 3 may sport a 9.7 inch display running at a drool-worthy 2048x1536 resolution. There is little else known about the device thus far, but you can bet TechSpot will keep you apprised.

Permalink to story.

i bought an ipad on sept 12, loved it... but was really disappionted in the camera... sweet slick machine. If new one has better camera, will give mine to my kid and buy the new one.

Why are computer monitors and TVs already lagging behind tablets when it comes to resolution? They have been stuck at 1080p for ages.

slh28 said:
Why are computer monitors and TVs already lagging behind tablets when it comes to resolution? They have been stuck at 1080p for ages.

We saw high pixel density displays on phones first... now it is hitting tablets... the answer is most likely cost.

If you shop around, the few LCDs available with super high pixel density are insanely expensive (many thousands of dollars). There aren't many choices available either, probably because they are so expensive. As manufacturing techniques improve and consumer interest rises, I'm sure we'll see double.. triple.. quadruple pixel density on higher-end monitors at affordable prices in the coming years.

slh28 said:

How so? What about 30" monitors with 2560x1600 resolution. Don't forget they are working on 4K (4000 lines) resolution monitors too. HDMI 1.4 already supports it, so ;)

Not stuck at 1080p here, 30' 2560 x 1600 panel here since 2009 and never looked back, its the dominating resolution if you can afford one. Youll never go back to 1080 if you can help it.

It would cost most people too much for a 4K tv which arent out yet anyway most are satisfied with their 2-3 yr old lcd sets they overpaid for ...and I'm surprised the amount of people still watching DVD as their main source for movie viewing and not Blu Ray.

A new iPad coming out in the spring? Easily falls into the catagory of 'No Chit Sherlock.'

Maybe there will be a new iPhone in 2012 too.

And I have it on good authority 2013 will be after 2012.

Why this was even posted...

Back