Rumor: Microsoft to show off Windows 8 at CES 2011

Emil

At CES 2011, Microsoft is planning on showcasing new slates to compete against the iPad, according to The New York Times. That's hardly a big surprise, given that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer already did that at CES 2010.

In fact, Microsoft has been regularly promising that more slates and tablets in various form factors were coming in 2011. OEMs have already announced plans, or have watched their plans leak, regarding touch devices running Windows: Acer, Asus, Toshiba, among others (Samsung and Dell come to mind), are all on board. The article does, however, get interesting at the very end:

A person who works at Microsoft said the company was encouraging partners to build applications for these devices that use HTML5, the Web programming language. This person said the applications would not be sold in an app store, as with the Apple iTunes model, but Microsoft will encourage software partners to host the applications on their own Web sites, which will then be highlighted in a search interface on the slate computers. It is unclear if these applications will be ready for C.E.S. as most are still in production. Another person with knowledge of Microsoft's plans said Steve Ballmer might demonstrate a tablet and other companion devices running the next operating system, Windows 8.

There's a few things that are contradicting in this piece of information. While the App Store part is hard to deny, even with leaks regarding an app store for Windows, the Windows 8 part is definitely fishy. We would have definitely heard something sooner if Windows 8 was ready to be shown off in one form or another.

Less than two months ago, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer was asked about the riskiest product bet that the software giant is currently developing, and he answered "the next release of Windows" without so much as a second of hesitation. There have been many leaks related to Windows 8 before and after this quote, but the fact remains that Windows 8 isn't slated to arrive until 2012.

We seriously doubt Ballmer would be able to strut on stage next month and show off Windows 8 running on a tablet. He could, however, show off some touch improvements for Windows 7 and emphasize that they're a glimpse of what's to come in Windows 8. Beyond something like that, don't hold your breath if you want to see Windows 8 next month.

Permalink to story.

Consumers should be angry and let Windows 8 flop because Windows 7 is still in its infancy stage. Can consumers have some quality time to get to know the application before upgrading again? Companies like Microsoft should not rush unfinished products to consumers, and then expect people to purchase upgrades to complete the operating system. I am so glad I no longer support PC, and have been a Mac user for years.

Very sad.

Yeah but as we know Microsoft is facing many hard challenges as Apple keeps making new innovative products (and even passed Microsoft in market value), and Google is on the edge of selling the Chrome Notebook so it's imperative that they try their best to make new, better products, faster.
It has to overcome its status of a big burocratic corp. led by a ***** (Ballmer), and use its vast resources to make more things like Windows 7, and NOT like Vista.

Anyone remember the time between Windows 95 and Windows 98? The answer is in the names, 3 years. Same thing between 98 and XP. It was 5 years from XP to Vista, then 3 years to 7 from there. See a trend? If W8 is released in 2012 as the article suggests, that will be another 3 year cycle. It's nothing out of the ordinary

Also, no one says you HAVE to upgrade. If W7 does what you need it to, stick with it. Same thing with XP, or even 95 if you're still using it.

I have never understood all the fuss over product announcements. I also don't understand why I take the time to write these posts which never make a dent anyways.

Microsoft has been pushing unfinished (advanced betas) for many years. The reason Windows 95 got it's name was because Mr. Gates was upset that his engineers had missed the release date for Windows 4 by six times. He kept that naming style with 98 to keep his engineers on schedule (releasing unfinished product) and "fixing" what the customers complained about quickly with updates ...98A, 98B and 98C, and then returned with name changes based on something other than numbers like XP ( a reasonable operating system), Milenium Edition (ME was a nightmare), NT (another good product), Vista (yet another night mare), and now WIN 7. We can only hope that Win 8 won't be a nightmare, and that Microsoft takes it's time with the touchscreen stuff to get it right at the beginning, It would help rebuild it's good reputation.

And by the way, the reason that folks don't complain when Steve Jobs comes out with a new OS, and the do that fairly often too, is the same reason that Mac's don't get virus attacks. Why bother with such a few systems. Both users can eventually figure out how to fix their issues.

Maybe not - Win 7 was a rush job to fix the Vista disaster. Mabye Win 8 is really the replacement for XP!

Someone forgot (gulp) windows me, this changes the time frame to a little over two years for most operating system upgrades with xp being the long time between upgrades comming out next year would be on schedule

You say you are glad that you are a mac user for years and that MS should not rush unfinished product to consumers. I do agree with not rushing unfinished product, but what about the iPhone 4? They had major issues with the antennae. If I also recall, there were many issues with resolution and monitor issues with the new monitors and laptops that apple just "refreshed". You get this no matter what company you support. They are all in it for the $.

I'd welcome Windows 8 if it were as functional or better than XP. Windows 7 is just a modified version of Vista which was never any good. W7 still has too many problems and if it weren't for getting stuck with it when I purchased a new computer running 64-bit, I would go back to XP.

Relax, guys. They're just playing mind games with the PC users. If the track record of recent Windows versions is anything to go by, we have at least 2 service packs and tons of monthly patches to go before Windows 8 or whatever they call it comes out.

Ahh I was kidding . Windows 7 64bit ROCKS....Anyone who doesn't think so either has a crappy computer or doesn't know how to use windows... I admit I loved XP. Hated Vista....but couldn't be happier about Windows 7... Yeah I don't think Windows 8 will be out for awhile....Microsoft will milk Windows 7 for awhile..It's got to get more businesses on-board. We just started deploying a few Windows 7 at work.

HAIL to the intellegence of the person that at 9:03 am on 12/15/2010 commented ..........
Anyone remember the time between Windows 95 and Windows 98? The answer is in the names, 3 years. Same thing between 98 and XP. It was 5 years from XP to Vista, then 3 years to 7 from there. See a trend? If W8 is released in 2012 as the article suggests, that will be another 3 year cycle. It's nothing out of the ordinary

Also, no one says you HAVE to upgrade. If W7 does what you need it to, stick with it. Same thing with XP, or even 95 if you're still using it.

I have never understood all the fuss over product announcements. I also don't understand why I take the time to write these posts which never make a dent anyways.

How true it is.....
but hey, I'm no Doctor

Just use Linux and then you don' t have to worry what version of windows Microsoft is trying to push down your throat.

your a retard. mac users arent computer users, they are email/facebook/web browsing queens.

I doubt its windows 8 that he was talking about, maybe its a custom os or a hevily edited windows 7 thats specifically for tablets\notebooks\netbooks

Eitherway its way to early for windows 8, not even microsoft is that stupid, windows 7 is still selling millions of copys.

I am inclining to say Emil is right that something of touchy sort may be up, but for windows 7, perhaps through SP1 ??

Windows 7 runs like a charm and I would bet that 8 will as well. I welcome the announcement. Only a ***** would be upset at that.

http://www.EndUser*****s.com

Windows 8 aren't going to be sold off wholly in a day. Although making new operating systems is indisputably lucrative, the die-hard customers of Microsoft wouldn't have the same fervent trust as before, where people are willing to queue up for a day to get an edition of Windows 7. I'm not deriding Microsoft in any way, but it makes good sense to -you know- give some Windows editions for free because there would be a plethora of them when Windows 8 is ready.

It's impetuous to compete with Apple. Maybe Windows 8 would be just like Windows 7, with the same features and aesthetics. If you want to create Windows 8, then make it sui generis, and of course, cheap and free.

the guys that windows 7 is only a year old, true but you guys forget that the Windows 7 public Beta (build 7000) is almost 2 years old again. so maybe we can expect a Beta soon for windows 8.

The folly of upgrading Microsoft's OS. - XP works well, and it avoided being stuck with Vista (which was more like Millenium which I chucked in favor of a free Windows 2000). So why should one go to Windows 7, when it requires a clean install and new peripherals? I just cannot see this endless upgrading. It is better to get supplemental programs and utilities, which usually work better than Microsoft's offering. The next OS will come as an OEM with a new computer if and when. In 27 years, I have only bought 5 new computers, but then I am not a "power user". It is also well to remember that virtually every other MS OS is a bust.

Back