Rumor: next Xbox to block used games with one-time activation codes

Jos

Staff

As Sony prepares to show us the future of PlayStation in a couple of weeks, rumors about its next-generation Xbox counterpart are beginning to fly left and right as well. The latest comes courtesy of Edge magazine, which cites sources with "first-hand experience" claiming that games for Microsoft's upcoming console will come with a one-time use activation code, as a measure to block the second-hand game market.

The site mentions the console will "require an Internet connection in order to function," though it's not clear whether that's for activating games against Microsoft's servers or if a persistent connection will be required as long as you're playing. Such restrictive schemes have been tried before and ultimately backfired on game publishers so it'd be surprising -- to say the least -- if Microsoft followed that route.

In any case, online functionality and a new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft's next console, as you'd expect, while games will still be offered in physical form on 50GB Blu-ray discs. Edge also says the new Xbox will ship with an improved version of Kinect, and backs up previous rumors that it will be powered by an eight core AMD processor running at 1.6GHz alongside 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

Early last year Kotaku heard from their own sources that the so-called Xbox 720 would use some sort of anti-used game protection, but could only speculate as to what exactly this would entail. For its part, Sony has applied for a patent on a hardware-based DRM technology that would let them block second-hand games.

It's no secret how most video game publishers vendors feel about the used games market, and if reports like these are any indication it would seem like Sony and Microsoft are playing along. But aside from the obvious consumer backlash heding their way if something as restrictive goes through, there'd likely be other legal hurdles to clear too, as the European Union last year declared it's legal for someone to sell their licenses for physical or digital software to another person, as long as they uninstall or otherwise deactivate their copy first.

Permalink to story.

Seems like the powers-at-be are hell bent on getting rid of the used game market.

I don't have a problem with game pricing, especially considering the years involved and the cost of development of the big titles - we're talking as much money to produce as any big-budget movie title.

If you can just hold on to your shorts, most games are 1/2 price six months after release and in the $15 range 9 months after release. For example I just picked up Max Payne 3 for $15.

However, I'm not really happy about not being able to sell used games. I can resell anything else I purchase - clothing, cars, furniture, etc. Why isn't that allowed with media?

Advantage Sony. Barring anything of equal stupidity, they should be able to suck up some of Microsoft's market share. That is, of course, if they can establish a respectable library this time around.

If the game is locked to the console, that shafts multi-console owning families. Presently, we have 2 xbox360s, one in the kids room, one in the family room.

10-to-1 it'll use an account based solution. You'll simply register your subscriptions to a user account, and you'll only be limited to how many systems you can simultaneously be logged into (like Netflix). Otherwise...that'd be a BIG oversight!

"Advantage Sony. Barring anything of equal stupidity, they should be able to suck up some of Microsoft's market share. That is, of course, if they can establish a respectable library this time around."

Yes if SOny allows used games they will beat MIcrosoft by a landslide, forcing Microsoft to dump this action. Unless of course both companies are in cohoots together and will implement this to gain power and control.

Not being able to play a game on a second xbox in the house is a HUGE.

SUCH *******s eh?
The more these corporations leash us up as dogs to suck our money from our pockets the more the people will get angry at the domination and control.

The more the genius freedom fighters will fight back.

This is why there are cyber attacks. This is why there is piracy. the more you rip us off, the more you charge for your games, the more greedy you get trying to control the market, the more we will say WTF.

They are taking away our freedoms and forcing us to their insane price and control structure. Only the very rich can afford to play all the games they really want to play. money is hard enough to get in this world.

Yes if SOny allows used games they will beat MIcrosoft by a landslide, forcing Microsoft to dump this action. Unless of course both companies are in cohoots together and will implement this to gain power and control.

This is my worry. I doubt MS would introduce price controls if there isn't an adequate risk control (either in how it's implemented or competitor response). Sony having a similar plan would be such a mitigator.

They are taking away our freedoms and forcing us to their insane price and control structure.

Games are expensive because of production costs. Pricing schemes such as activation fees exist to compensate for developers' inability to cope with market demands. No freedom has been alienated; no one's forcing anyone to purchase over-priced products.

Only the very rich can afford to play all the games they really want to play. money is hard enough to get in this world.

Games are a luxury good. If they want to charge $1,000 per unit for new releases, they are well within any ethical boundaries in doing so. They just won't be making any sales.

It only encourages pc games and then piracy, except for the honest guy. I wonder how it effects the xbox 360 simulation on windows 8. Anyone get into that? Probably no effect. Microsoft always seemed to clobber the honest guy (90% of the people of China run pirated windows), yet I must alway pay the piper.

Locking the game to a single account is also crappy in a multi-console and multi-user household as it still means that only one person's account will be able to play. Sucks balls, in fact.

IF Microsoft does this, they will alienate a great chunk of their own customer base. They are attempting to control the purchasing of their own product AGAINST their own customer base. Used games have been a staple since the first Nintendo. Yes Atari had a few games but the market wasnt there for used games. The overall price point for Atari games being as low as it was.
Microsoft will be back pedelaing very quickly when they see that their own customers wont be buying the new system. Then MS will panic. They will understand that you either give your customers what they demand or they just dont buy your product. Im guessing that both MS and Sony are sitting there waiting to see who has the balls to release their restrictive system first. Because whomever does release it first and it has a used games restriction on it will loose sales very quickly.

Locking down software or hardware is the quickest way to lose me as a customer. I think I'll keep my gaming rig and look into that ouya android system.

I think it's funny that the next generation consoles are really just in a rush to become more PC like. In fact, all the current technologies are simply trying to mimic what has already been done on the PC for years. Internet, movies, music, etc... I have a tablet and a touch based phone and and xbox 360... but you know what gets the job done the best? My ****in computer. It still rules all the devices. Anything I can do on my phone tablet or xbox, I can more easily do on a PC.

I might be a dying breed here because of the current technology trends... but I'm not impressed Microsoft.

Microsoft is pretty much saying, "Right, I've got two feet. Let's shoot myself in *that* one". Don't forget though, Sony are also working on a form of DRM that prevents game resales. You'll find the article on that somewhere on Techspot.
This is turning out to be a great console cycle for Nintendo and the Ouya. Also, considering the vast majority of Nintendo games can be prefixed with "Another bloody" such as Mario, Zelda and Metroid, the Ouya could have a seriously good cycle.

One thing to consider is that this type of locking DRM is not just Microsoft's idea. Yes, it means that Microsoft should theoretically get more licensing fee income. But, there is quite a bit of pressure from the game developer and publisher segment. Implementing a protection scheme like the one in this article is often a move to woo publishers by trying to guarantee they will get more return on their game development.

It's big business at work, and the only ones who benefit from a second-hand game market are the companies who have based their entire existence on those used sales... Oh, and us lowly consumers, but we are usually one of the later considerations in the planning and marketing strategy routine. :)

I didn't buy that many used games this generation. THAT being said if true I think this is a boneheaded decision on the part of Microsoft because the majority of games sold are used. I hope that Microsoft seriously reconsiders this.

If not, well, there will be software that can be developed to break the anti-used game coding.

How will this affect Gamefly.com rentals? Theoretically these would be the same as used games.

What about rentals like gamefly? Would this move destroy that market as-well?
Most guys I know that buy second hand games do so only because they think the price is not worth it for the new version. But this would not make them go out and buy it because now they have to.

Is this a deal-breaker for anyone else? I currently game on PC and Xbox 360, and the PC experience is vastly better. The only reason I play 360 is for the multiplayer.

The only way I can see this working out OK is if used games were blocked, but one copy of a new game allowed 4 person LAN multiplayer (multiple consoles, of course.) I would actually consider getting a 720 and buying new games for that. Otherwise, screw consoles, I'm sticking with PC and looking into the Oculus Rift.

Back