Rumor: Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 to arrive in February

Jos

Staff

Nvidia was all about Tegra 3 and mobile computing at last week's Consumer Electronics Show, but the company hasn't forgotten about hardcore gamers awaiting their next-generation desktop products. In fact, according to recent rumors, their first 28nm "Kepler" cards may arrive a bit earlier than the previously expected March/April timeframe in response to AMD's successful launch of their GCN (Graphics Core Next) based Radeon 7970 graphics cards.

Chinese website ChipHell.com is reporting that Nvidia will launch the GeForce GTX 680 sometime in February and the card will supposedly offer similar performance to AMD's Radeon HD 7970, which currently holds the title of fastest single-GPU card on the planet.

Although detailed specifications for the upcoming cards are still unknown, the general consensus is that the GTX 680 cards will have 2GB of video memory on a 256- or 384-bit bus and have a core clock speed of 780MHz.

Previous rumors suggested Nvidia was timing the release of their new graphics cards to coincide with the launch of Intel's Ivy Bridge processors. A report in November also claimed that Nvidia was planning a bottom-to-top rollout for their 28nm Kepler architecture, starting with the entry-level GK107 GPU. The performance GK104 GPU that would presumably power the GeForce GTX 680 was slated for Q3 2012. Needless to say Nvidia doesn't comment on rumors and speculation so hopefully an official announcement will come soon.

Permalink to story.

Been waiting on the 600series to upgrade my 400series card. Will be nice to have a single card solution again.

@ captainawesome
That comes down to the BoM (Bill of Materials). Because Nvidia GPU's tend to be larger than AMD's (and hence more expensive to produce), Nvidia usually don't endow the cards with other big price tag components, which is usually seen in the areas of voltage regulation and vRAM (both in quantity and speed). For example, fhe 3GB of VRAM that the HD 7970 carries has a wholesale cost of around $US 90, while 1.5GB of the previous generation GDDR5 carried by the GTX580 is $US 32.

Having more vRAM onboard, for the most part, only produces tangible gains in a minority of games at standard resolutions -reference any HD 6950 1GB vs 2GB review. As gaming moves to greater resolutions the frame buffer becomes more desirable.

"captainawesome said:
I wonder why AMD goes for the bigger framebuffer when Nvidia seems to like the 2GB max..?"

Because AMD's cards support 3 screens out of the box, and in forexample Crysis 2 i saw tests where it consumed 2.4gb of vram in eyefinity.

That being said, dont underestimate the power of morons, many look at cards and think a 2gb card is better than a 1gb, even if its 2gb gddr3 vs 1gb gddr5.

all i can get from this is that u are a pro user of google.

Don't feel bad, an in-depth comprehension of a given subject takes time, concentration and a great deal of effort. You're bound to have a few missteps along the way.

You could, I suppose use Google for a quick-and-dirty synopsis of most things, but it's usually better if the technology and its wider implications are something you have a keen interest in....pretty radical concept for a tech enthusiast forum I know.

TL;DR
LinkedKube on the money

captainawesome said:
I wonder why AMD goes for the bigger framebuffer when Nvidia seems to like the 2GB max..?

If you noticed AMD's recent string of products, they are aiming toward extreme multitasking. That also reflects in their CPU's and APU's. With their Radeon line, notice how they keep talking about multiple screens with Eyefinity? And even the FX CPU's is great for extreme multitasking (regardless of how people view it as a failure.) Point is, having more VRAM will definitely be needed especially for multi-monitor setups.

If a person was not to use any of those features, stick to one monitor, don't do much multitasking, then an Nvidia card with 2gb should be plenty. Even though I say the more the merrier.

My GTX580 with 1.5gb is plenty for me at my resolution of 1920x1080.

"Previous rumors suggested Nvidia was timing the release of their new graphics cards to coincide with the launch of Intel's Ivy Bridge processors."

With little change in performance and a hefty price tag, I guess Nvidia missed the memo that Intel's Ivy Bridge built-in gpu will have 30-60% better performance and be able to support 2 monitors running 4k x 4k.

https://www.techspot.com/news/46832-intel-to-launch-22nm-ivy-bridge-processors-on-april-8.html
[I don't have the source for the 2 monitors running at 4kx4k, but it was a statement made my Intel.]

Still waiting for the GTX 780, i predict the 680 will suffer from power consumption and overheating issues :p

It'd better come out before 21st December, or i'll just be pis...

Taking a general observation rather personal don't you think ?

If you think you see something worthy of a ban feel free to use the Report Bad Post link...I'm sure the administration will give your input all the attention it deserves.

Hmmm no GTX 670 treats? :)

How has 'Techspot' not banned you yet dividebyzero?

Because despite what you think his mental real estate is still worth something on this site. I have a short list of TS regulars that I've gained respect for. He's one of them.

I'm sorry if your post was a troll attempt, or even if it wasn't I'm sure you'll find a comfy bridge to hide under.

I guess Nvidia missed the memo that Intel's Ivy Bridge built-in gpu will have 30-60% better performance

Performance, like a backwoods marriage, is relative. 30-60% increase from HD2000/HD3000 level graphics really isn't saying a lot in the realm of gaming. For most non-gaming applications, IGP will do just fine, but I think you'll still find that Intel's IGP isn't at the level to rival AMD's Fusion APU's or a discrete card- which is where Nvidia's discrete graphics and Optimus switching fill the market demand.
Aside from gaming there are other area's where a discrete card (or two) makes perfect sense - business and workstation spring to mind.

@LinkedKube
Thanks for the kind words. And Ditto.
You can change your username...when did that happen?

Amen to that although I'll be buying my third when the 680 drops. I'm trying to keep up with red but my gf won't allow it.

...so much for asking for help to find non-ref waterblocks:haha::wave:

Still waiting for the GTX 780, i predict the 680 will suffer from power consumption and overheating issues :p

and what evidence are you basing this on ? power efficiency seems to be one of (if not thee main facet of the upcoming line.

How has 'Techspot' not banned you yet dividebyzero?

as soon as I can figure the over under on that, I'm opening the betting window. How much you want to lose Amstech?

Ask me tomorrow when I'm not in a drunken rage and on a troll hunt.

You want full copper, copper and nickel or copper base with acrylic block? You know i got choooo! ///In my detroit lingo\\\

Ask me tomorrow when I'm not in a drunken rage and on a troll hunt.

You want full copper, copper and nickel or copper base with acrylic block? You know i got choooo! ///In my detroit lingo\\\

I know you do T :)
Does the acrylic block present any problems?

1 to 2 degree temp difference at full load, but nothing detrimental over complete loop temps compared to full copper blocks with good flow

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LinkedKube = supermashbrada ................ *head scratching* ............. ??????

By the way amstech: DBZ is one of the few very well informed contributors here, and I am sure many will verify that he doesn't indulge in any non-sensical outbursts, somehow, some people always forget one thing, one have to 'gain' respect, as it is something which can't be taken as a 'given'.

Noticed you had the Flex cards - they are second revision reference. You should have a reasonably wide choice- just make sure it's for a v2 reference pcb

Swiftech Komodo HD6900-2
Aquacomputer Type 2
EKWB v2 and ...and in white
Alphacool v2
Danger Den v2

Koolance probably make a compatible block also, but their QA/QC can be more than a little iffy with some products. AquaComputer and Swiftech might be your best bet. Never had a problem with EK's, but they have had issues with flaking internal Nickel plating. I'd assume that the affected parts have been recalled- but assume takes on some importance when you're talking about expensive hardware.

A user review at XS

Back