Rumor: Nvidia preparing a non-'TI' GeForce GTX 560

By Jos
Mar 31, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Nvidia is planning to launch a new GeForce 500 series desktop graphics card to help strengthen the company's competitiveness against AMD's upcoming Radeon HD 6790. That at least according German site Heise Online, which claims a non-'Ti' GeForce GTX 560 is in the works to fill the gap between the GTX 550 Ti and the GTX 560 Ti. Basically, it sounds like it could be a direct replacement for the popular GeForce GTX 460 card.

Read the whole story
  2. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 162

Cool. On a side note, if the SM will be disabled via firmware, I guarantee someone is going to come up with custom firmware to enable that SM for increased performance, so the manufacturers better be careful because if that happens alot of people might go for the $199 card as opposed to the $249, flash the firmware and get the same performance which in turn might hurt said manufacturers.
  3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Probably unlikely.
    Nvidia don't have a track record of giving away free performance.
    They do however have a record of physically fusing off disabled shader clusters
  4. Omnislip

Omnislip TS Rookie Posts: 91

This release was so predictable. Like the Ti was there for no reason...
  5. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

I thought the GTX 550 Ti was supposed to be the modern day descendant of my aging 8800 GT. If it needs help beating an overclocked and higher bandwith 5770 i.e. 6790, Nvidia probably didn't give it enough of its grandpa's DNA.
  6. 8800 GT isn't as fast a 5770
  7. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

@Guest 2:48 PM - In 2011, the HD 5770 should be faster than the 8800 GT. You are comparing two cards from different generations and architectures. However, back in 2007, the 8800 GT had no trouble beating ATI's flagship cards namely the HD 2900 XT and the HD 3870. I was merely stating that a true spiritual successor to the G92 family should have no trouble dealing with its counterpart in AMD's midrange or, in this case, upper midrange family. However, I was mistaken in believing that the GTX 550 Ti was such a card. It appears that somewhere between the GTS 250 and Geforce 400 series, the "50" model series became the "60" series in Nvidia nomenclature.