Rumor: Sandy Bridge processors to retain Core i branding

By Jos
Jul 12, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intel is expected to release its next-gen Sandy Bridge processors by early January 2011. According to Expreview, the new parts should retain the current Core i3, i5 and i7 brands but appended by a 2000-series model number signify the new architecture. So, for example, the Sandy Bridge equivalent of a Core i7 870 might be called the Core i7 2870.

Read the whole story
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,201   +229

Wouldn't that be prepended with a 2000-series model?
  3. Modena

Modena TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 182

Damn another new socket.... i series will then have 3 different socket types.
  4. cardriverx

cardriverx Newcomer, in training Posts: 84

4 if you count lga 2011. wtf intel.
  5. thatguyandrew92

thatguyandrew92 Newcomer, in training Posts: 118

I thought LGA 1366 was supposed to last a long time. oh well
  6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,705   +590

By the time LGA 2011/Socket R (Sandy Bridge B2) comes out, LGA1366 will be three years old. I guess you think that the day LGA 2011 launches, X58/LGA 1366 will stop being used...just like LGA 775 stopped being used when LGA 1366 was intoduced in Nov 2008......oh wait.

Retaining the same socket isn't a problem if you never plan to upgrade the feature set or architecture of the CPU's that sit in it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.