Rumors suggest Apple is preparing three iPhones for 2013

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The latest from the perpetual motion machine that is the Apple rumor mill suggests Cupertino is preparing not one, but three new iPhone models for 2013. One phone is even being called the iPhone Math, which we can only hope is either a codename or the brainchild of poor translation from Chinese to English (maybe they meant iPhone Max?).

The rumors come courtesy of Brightwire.com, a site that translated the stories from Taiwan-based Commercial Times and the China Times. According to the publication, the iPhone Math would feature a 4.8-inch display and an 8-megapixel camera although it’s still unclear why Apple would pick such a strange name for the handset.

The idea of three new handsets from Apple seems at least plausible as it would allow the California company to appeal to a wider user base.  The rumors suggest Apple would release a 4-inch iPhone 5S and the aforementioned iPhone Math before the end of June – perhaps in time for an unveiling at the Worldwide Developers Conference earlier in the month. A third mystery iPhone with a 12-megapixel camera will hit retail stores in time for the holiday season, we’re told.

If you recall, the last two handsets from Apple – the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 – were both launched in the third quarter. Before that, however, Cupertino was keen on unveiling new hardware at WWDC in June and releasing it a few weeks later during late spring / early summer. Now that they have shifted things around a bit, we typically see the latest iteration of iOS surface at WWDC instead of new iPhone hardware.

As with most rumors, we recommend you digest this one with a healthy grain of salt – especially the iPhone Math naming convention.

Permalink to story.

The three iPhones are:
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone mini, and
- iPhone nano

Iphone math... that's a curious name for a smartphone... I'm starting to imagine the apple TV Ad: "New iphone Math!... do the math, (get an android)" LOL!

Apple is over priced close sourced junk.
Why do people purchase their product again?

I thought apple will be going 64gb iphone for the elite (8-12mp camera), 32gb for the mainstream (8mp camera), and 16gb for the entry level (5mp camera).

no confusion regarding nomenclature, all will be iphone 5s.

I have a bad feeling about this "iPhone Math" rumour that apple will somehow have managed to patent the concept of having a calculator app on a touch-screen phone...

Hmmm. Whatever happened to their ' Release one highly overrated model & watch suckers grovel at our feet to pay our highly over inflated price' attitude.
Having said that, we all know a leopard never changes it's spots so these new phones will probably not be worth the box they're shipped in.

What, did some Apple exec happen to notice all the variety in the toothpaste isle and say 'Hey, there's something for everyone, we should do that!'

And wait until they start adding the extra $100 to each model for 16GB of storage. We'll have cross-over pricing between the models.

A bigger iphone?! But the current iPhone is a 'dazzling display of common sense!'

I see way too many people around campus with an iPad AND an iPad mini. Won't be the least bit surprised to see people with 3 iPhones this year (keep in mind that most of these people can't afford lunch).

A bigger iphone?! But the current iPhone is the perfect size for everything!

Thats too funny, next Apple will try to patent using your thumb. I'm at a loss for words now because of have ridiculously bad that add is. Are people so stupid they don't realize all phones are that size for a reason? Or do the Apple sheeple look at that and go "Oh how Innovative" I think its a dazzling display of pure bullshit, thats what I think. Should have fine print stating not for people with small hands...

I've heard this rumor before... and what came out last time?
iPhone 5
iPhone4s (16g I believe)
iPhone4 (for free under 2 year contract)
There, 3 phones!!!

And the year before that...
iPhone4s
iPhone4
iPhone3Gs

Hmmm...I wonder what the next 'three' are going to be...

I'm gonna buy all three!!! When are they going on sale?? Its got to be better than this old iPhone 5 I've had now for ages!

:p Maybe in Tutti fruity colors too;) .. Just add some color from white or black,

Back