Ryzen 5 5600X3D vs. Ryzen 7 5800X3D

I think the logic behind the 5600X3D is why sell the 5600 when you can add vcache and get another $100 added onto the products price. It's just all about margins.

I think the logic behind the 5600X3D is why sell the 5600 when you can add vcache and get another $100 added onto the products price. It's just all about margins.
When the 5800X3D was released it was to take the gaming crown from Intel, which it did very well. It was also released for with an MSRP of $450. It can now regularly be found on sale around the $300-320 mark. I even saw a sale once that brought it down to $283 and it's worth that all day long. The 5600X3D is the stock pile of damaged chips left over from the 3D Vcache process and they're essentially trying to recoup their some of their costs from it. AMD is not actively making the 5600X3D, they're just damaged 5800X3D chips.

I was interested in getting one when they released since Micro Center is only about a 15-20 minute drive from my place, but my funds for one had to be spent else where so I never did get one.

Maybe soon. I don't need one, but it would be nice to just have one to screw around with. Plus I really need to update the hardware in my HTPC server - running on a nearly 10 year old CPU right now, it certainly feels long in the tooth when I'm running games on it as a server for online. I know that MC has a pretty great deal with this CPU, a MB and 16GB RAM for $300....this would be the reason I'd even bother getting one now. I wouldn't want to pay $230 just for the CPU alone.

I was interested in getting one when they released since Micro Center is only about a 15-20 minute drive from my place, but my funds for one had to be spent else where so I never did get one.

Maybe soon. I don't need one, but it would be nice to just have one to screw around with. Plus I really need to update the hardware in my HTPC server - running on a nearly 10 year old CPU right now, it certainly feels long in the tooth when I'm running games on it as a server for online. I know that MC has a pretty great deal with this CPU, a MB and 16GB RAM for $300....this would be the reason I'd even bother getting one now. I wouldn't want to pay $230 just for the CPU alone.
If you wanted a strictly gaming PC, the 5600x3d is a fantastic budget option. With me, though, I've grown accustomed to having 8 cores and would likely spend my money on more cores than gaming performance.

I want to do a platform upgrade but I feel like I have too many options and if I'm going to build something with 16 cores I feel like I should go threadripper for the PCIe lanes. 24 PCIe lanes just isn't enough in 2023. You basically get a graphics card, a NIC and an NVME SSD and you're out of lanes.

The difference between 6/12 and 8/16 is alarmingly high at times. 8/16 is the bare minimum these days.

Last edited:
I did pick one up when they were released. I upgraded from an old i7 5820k. I used my kids old x470 board, since he wanted an mATX, so I am pretty happy with it. I use it to push a 6900xt and it seems to keep it at 100% usage and the performance numbers match up with the reviews. So I am pretty happy with it.

This review is so late to the party it misses the window the 5600x3d had.
At the time of release ddr5 systems were 200.00 more less stable and not much faster.
The bundle mb cpu ram was far less than anything else. The 5800 x3d was not cheap and no bundle deal.
The mb needed no bios update it was made w the chip in mind for the bundle so every worked out of the box no extra work needed.
I got two systems w 4070 fe cards zero issues would do it again given the same options as 3 months ago.
Will wait for next amd or intel mbs this will be good for years.
Btw my 5600x3ds were 171.00 not 229.00. I saved around 400.00 used that for more important options.

As for drop in upgrades in Oct 2023, if the 5800x3d is only 30.00 more then yes it might be worth it to some to buy that instead of a 5600x3D but you will not notice it in games and it does use 10-15 more real world watts and more heat than the 5600x3d.

Last edited:
Back