Samsung 750GB HDD error

evilfox

Hello everybody
i have sata samsung 750gb hdd yesterday experienced data cycle error on reading one file on HDD (HDD had ntfs), so i ran full HD tune error check and it returned me one red block(286mb per block) others was green, but healthy hd tune shows ok. i did full format (with win7) and run chkdsk /f /r /x that retturnend no bad clusters or any errors at all

do i need to pay attention to that red block which shows in HD TUNE?

Google published an interesting study about hard drive failures HERE. While they conclude 36% of drives fail without any warning, once a single drive error occurs, the odds of future drive failure goes up considerably.

So IMO it's a crap shoot, but it sounds like the odds against you (and the drive) are now worse :(

You might also see THIS post as well as skim through the thread

I have brought a few drives back to usable condition by doing an all 0's write before reformatting. One is in my computer's 1TB RAID array right now. It has been running without error for over 6 months. A drives bad blocks can be marked by the electronics and never used. As long as the Red blocks don't multiply and the SMART status remains un-tripped the drive can be trusted... for a while

thx for reply, i allready bought WD HDD Caviar GreenPower 1TB 3.5' SATA2 64MB, so will throw away that samsung, will never buy again samsung HDDs :)

Back