Samsung announces 40nm, 32GB DDR3 RAM for servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Samsung has unveiled a new heavyweight DRAM module claimed to be the industry's "highest-density monolithic DDR3 device." Engineered for use in high-end servers, the 32GB stick is made with 36 dual-die 40nm 4Gb DDR3 chips. This announcement follows roughly one year after the company unveiled its 50nm 2Gb-based 16GB RDIMM, and the new 32GB module reportedly offers equal, if not more performance, with little increase in power consumption.

Samsung says that equipping a dual-processor, two-way server with its new 32GB creation, the system can have of to 384GB of memory. This effectively doubles the previous largest density of 192GB per server, but only draws 5% more power. Additionally, replacing 12 16GB modules with only six 32GB sticks would total 192GB, while the DRAM would be 33% faster, jumping from 800Mb/s to 1,066Mb/s, all while reducing power consumption by 40%.

Samsung is currently shipping samples of the new 32GB offering and plans to enter mass production in April.

Permalink to story.

Holy Cow! I wasn't even aware that 16GB RAM modules were available. Imagine the day when 32GB modules will be the standard in home PCs... *drifts off to fantasy land*

Super! Will this be 40nm, DDR3, ECC >> price fixed <<, server memory?

I saw the name "Toshiba" mentioned, and I think that's a fair question.

All I have to say is hurry up with the desktop version!

YAY!

But seriously get that out then work on mobos (for desktops) that can handle upwards of 128 gigs ram...

You can never have to much ram...

As long as your board can take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back