Samsung announces 830 Series SSDs, coming in October

Matthew DeCarlo

Samsung has joined the ranks of OCZ, Crucial, Intel and other major SSD players in releasing a SATA 3.0 (6Gb/s) flash drive. Built on the success of its 470 Series SSD, the new 830 Series utilizes the company's in-house firmware and hardware. Unfortunately, Samsung's announcement is short on relevant information with most of it being marketing fluff.

The company beats around the bush, drawing attention to the new SSD's "stylish" brushed metal body and orange accent instead of providing true performance specs. We imagine this is because either Samsung is still polishing its software and may not have the final speeds ready yet, or the company simply isn't ready to reveal its cards to the competition.

Considering the 830 Series is consumer-oriented, it's safe to assume the drives will utilize MLC NAND flash. Considering the time Samsung's had to mold its new SSDs around , we wouldn't be shocked if the 830 Series exceeds the speed of OCZ's Vertex 3. The 470 Series surprised us similarly last November when it smashed our performance charts.

Despite its brevity, Samsung was willing to provide an October release window, and the company says it's keeping us in suspense until then. The 830 Series will have 64GB, 128GB, 256GB and 512GB capacities that come in "upgrade packages," which include all required cables and Norton Ghost.

A notebook upgrade kit will contain a USB to SATA adapter cable, while desktop users can purchase a kit that contains a 2.5-inch to 3.5-inch mounting bracket.

Permalink to story.

wow that is slim, I just want to see SSD's to become cheaper already.. I wonder how much it takes to make them .. (money wise).

That might be quite a while man. Hard disks took a long time to drastically lower in price. Plus companies don't make much profit from SSD's. Plus it'll be a while before they become popular. Plus it'll be a while before people trust them to hold their data with all the news of these drives shipping with bugs. Simply put, it'll be a while.

It's amazing how fast the solid state drive industry is moving. Samsung is really getting into everything flash related. I can't wait for my SSD to come in.

Back