Samsung Galaxy Tab has a 15% return rate, iPad at only 2%

Emil

Staff

Update: Samsung has denied that the return rate is 15 percent, saying that it is actually below 2 percent. The original story is below.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab has a return rate of 15 percent. In other words, for every 20 units sold, three are being returned. The return rate is based on sales from the device's November 2010 debut until January 16, 2011. Apple's iPad has a return rate of just 2 percent, according to ITG.

Late last month, Samsung announced that it had sold 2 million Galaxy Tab units in three months. Samsung launched its tablet in response to Apple's iPad, which sold 7.33 million units in the same quarter. On the whole, Apple dominated the tablet space last quarter: it had 75.3 percent market share while Android-based devices grabbed only 21.6 percent share.

The iPad has clearly won this first battle in the larger tablet war. This year, we'll be watching round two: the Galaxy Tab 2 (plus all the other Android-based devices) versus the iPad 2 versus the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Permalink to story.

Actually the galaxy Tab is garbage. Touchwiz causes huge amounts of lag when scrolling or running apps. The only problem is unlike the Galaxy S smartphone, the tab doesn't have modders willing to fix Samsungs god awful ROMs.

Based upon this result, I'd actually think they're far more demanding than Samsung and other companies are giving them credit for.

Regardless of what people say. The ipad is the best tablet on the market ATM. I've seen the Xoom at CES and it's superior to the ipad, but it isn't on the market yet.

EDIT: The ADAM may beat the ipad, I don't have enough experience with it to know if it is.

I still think the iPad will remain on top by the end of year, Apple has way too many loyal (albeit a little brainwashed) customers out there, plus most people know Apple and have never heard of Android. Most people don't care about the OS they only care about the products brand name.

The one thing that nobody mentions comparing returns is apples mandatory 15% restock fee that I am sure wasn't charged to those returning g-tabs. You kids don't remember 25 years ago with desktops and 15-20 years ago on the laptops, apple comes out with a flashy form and for a couple years they dominate but then the market under prices and over specs them and things balance back out. Fan follow trends but us hard core techies have to wait for prices to drop or make our own. Otherwise

Guest said:
iPad users are easily impressed! :p

Nah, they will buy anything with "i" in it.

Next product will be iShit and it will sell millions. That's the power of the Apple drones.

"Actually the galaxy Tab is garbage. Touchwiz causes huge amounts of lag when scrolling or running apps. The only problem is unlike the Galaxy S smartphone, the tab doesn't have modders willing to fix Samsungs god awful ROMs."

other than just hearsay, back yourself up, cause you sound like a total nut job otherwise.

Changing the FS to EXT4 makes a huge improvement.
But you will need a custom ROM for that. And yes, it does exist!

http://leemn.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/galaxy-tab-changing-file-system-to-ext4-and-upgrade-to-modaco-rom-beta1/

... poor mans ipad?! I think you don't understand what "poor mans" means. They are the same price range. A "poor mans" example would be "a corvette is a poor mans sports car".

look, when the galaxy has touch response as smooth as an ipad, with as good battery life *with real world app installs* then we can talk. For the moment, it is not well organized, not graphically accelerated in all apps (as the ipad is) and is a tool for geeks and hackers but far from being as *unitimidating* as it needs to be to compete with the ipad. believe it or not bucko me boy, not every one wants to (or even wants to know what it is!) to install new ROMS, or have to worry about what is running or not, or have to deal with response times for animations and app-navigation that are choppy or unstable.

Pretty obvious. IMHO, android was released WAY too soon and blew their chance to compete correctly. Fragmentation is preventing steady advancement.

Back