Samsung intros 30nm, low-power DDR3 memory

By Matthew
Feb 1, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samsung's 30nm DDR3 DRAM chips have successfully completed customer evaluation and will enter mass production in the second half of this year -- before rivals. PCWorld reports that while IM Flash Technologies, owned by Micron and Intel, is ahead of Samsung with 25nm technology for flash memory, the company doesn't make DRAM.

Read the whole story
  2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,699   +586

Something tells me that DDR2 is going to get mighty expensive from here on out.
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,019   +83 Staff Member

I haven't checked in a while but I recall it being pricier than DDR3 for a bit late last year.
  4. alexandrionel

alexandrionel Newcomer, in training Posts: 94

"can be produced at more than double the cost-efficiency"
    That means cheaper memories, right?

@dividebyzero
    It will be exactly as it was with ddr1 after ddr2 appeared.
    A little more than one year ago a 1 gb ddr1 module was twice the price of a 1 gb ddr2 module.
    Here in Romania, ddr3 is still more expensive than ddr2. Not by much, but a bit more expensive.
  5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,019   +83 Staff Member

Cheaper to produce, supposedly, yes. Whether or not that is passed on to the consumer is another story :).
  6. alexandrionel

alexandrionel Newcomer, in training Posts: 94

Maybe we won't see a price drop in a week or two but I am sure that prices will continue to decline.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.