Samsung offers free 4K movie bundle to those that purchase 65-inch 4K television

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung hu9000 uhd tv 4k movies

Samsung is offering up a complementary Ultra HD video pack to those willing to pull the trigger on their flagship 65-inch curved 4K resolution television. The bundle of films comes pre-loaded on the set’s internal hard drive and includes five full-length films as well as three documentaries.

Set owners will receive Night at the Museum, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Counselor, GI Joe: Retaliation, World War Z, The Last Reef, Grand Canyon Adventure and Cappadocia.

Samsung’s HU9000 65-inch curved 4K/Ultra HD TV is certainly no slouch as evident by its $4,500 price tag. It’s also the same set that director Michael Bay attempted to introduce during the Consumer Electronics Show but ultimately walked off stage after the teleprompter failed.

Nevertheless, the 4K display features a resolution that is four times higher than traditional 1080p HD while the curved display offers up a better field of view by creating a panoramic effect to help the picture feel bigger.

In addition to the display itself, the set comes loaded with features like Ultra HD upscaling, precision black local dimming, auto depth enhancer and ultra clear panel technology.

Ultra HD is billed as the next big thing in television technology where other technologies like 3D ultimately failed to catch on with consumers. Pricing still remains high but that’ll come down over time as more sets penetrate the market and 1080p is relegated to budget-minded sets.

Permalink to story.

When compared to 3D, I'd say that 4K has my interest. But it's all about the price. Those bleeding edge buyers might appreciate that they're sweetening the deal. But I'll wait for mainstream prices personally.

Why would anybody contemplate blowing $4500 on a TV bundled with a bunch of crappy movies? If they reduced the price of the TV by three grand and shoved their bundled mess it would be a lot more of an incentive.

3D might be not for everyone, but if you want it, do not buy products like this. All these Samsung TV-s come with active 3D glasses, giving you very crappy 3D experience.

2D quality on this thing is great, but 3D is below average. Buy something with passive 3D instead, like Sony, for example.

The thing about HD and Ultra HD for me, is that it is very Emperors New Clothes. In the sense I don't see much of a difference in most programs or films.

IF I am watching something with plenty of CGI or such special effects, Transformers, The Matrix, then I am all for a HD version. But The Simpsons in HD and any cartoon for that matter is just IMO a wasted effort. I see no difference. Or I don't care that its in SD. One or the other.

The other issue with HD / Blu-Ray stuff for me, and many movies of late is the whisper quiet audio which you have to turn up, and then guns or explosions go off, or shouting even, and bang goes your eardrums. They really need to get rid of that issue. It's like they did those adverts where you see people get blown away by the explosions and actually thought what a great idea... it is not. Volume juggling is a tedious chore.

I want to wait for the 4k TV's to offer more than 120 hertz. At the moment I believe they are close to 30, which is the opposite of what I want. I would rather have lower graphics or resolution and a faster response time than the other way around.

I knew that Night of the Museum was bad the first time I saw it. Maybe it will be better now that it's in 4K and FREE!

3D might be not for everyone, but if you want it, do not buy products like this. All these Samsung TV-s come with active 3D glasses, giving you very crappy 3D experience.

2D quality on this thing is great, but 3D is below average. Buy something with passive 3D instead, like Sony, for example.
Samsungs here come with passive, while the only active ones I see are on the outgoing Panasonic plasma's.

Active is the good one. It allows full pixel count. Passive needs to cut the vertical (or other) pixel count in half to perform, which results in a 60inch+ screen having 540p.

I want to wait for the 4k TV's to offer more than 120 hertz. At the moment I believe they are close to 30, which is the opposite of what I want. I would rather have lower graphics or resolution and a faster response time than the other way around.
I don't think you know how film is made. Most blockbusters are filmed in 24Hz. The Hobbit was filmed in 40Hz or so.

Movies are currently made this slow, because people don't like the soap-opera effect that high refresh rates give them. This is why a 'fancy' 200Hz LED TV is useless for movies, because it usually runs at 24Hz or a small multiple of that.

Fast refresh is only good for PC games or fast-moving images like sports.

Back