Samsung preparing Galaxy Altius smartwatch to compete with iWatch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple may not be the only large electronics maker preparing a smartwatch as screenshots have surfaced from what very well could be Samsung’s take on the same product. The images, originally posted on a Korean forum, were all captured at a resolution of 500 x 500 pixels with some bearing the name Galaxy Altius.

That name has come up before but most assumed it was related to the Galaxy S IV – a handset that is expected to debut in the near future. Each screenshot shows the wireless carrier as SKT which is a South Korean mobile provider, indicating the device might need to be paired with a separate data plan.

samsung galaxy altius smartwatch samsung smartwatch galaxy altius

As SlashGear highlights, just 1.5 percent of the device’s 235MB storage capacity is in use. This likely tells us that the watch is designed to be used alongside a smartphone as one couldn’t do a whole lot with such a small amount of standalone storage. Furthermore, if paired with a phone, the carrier signal mentioned above would likely just be a mirror of what the user’s handset shows.

samsung galaxy altius smartwatch samsung smartwatch galaxy altius

As for specific functions, the screenshots show what appears to be a music player, a clock (a watch with a clock, imagine that) and an e-mail application. There’s a slider bar at the bottom of this screenshot which indicates more widgets can be shown on the home screen and is another hint that the device would include a touchscreen display.

The only thing that is a bit concerning is the lack of color in the screenshots. Perhaps that could be a limitation of the display or just the result of early prototype renderings.

Permalink to story.

I know I'm a little behind the times (sorry, bad pun), but I'm still trying to figure out why I should buy a tablet. Now Samsung and Apple are inventing a smart watch industry?

Do we really need another device to save me the hassle of digging my phone out of my pocket when I want to see my weather widget?

Now... if this thing could use NFC and pay for gas and groceries then we might have something worth buying. Just in case I ever move to one of those trendy neighborhoods where they have NFC enabled stores.

No, now Samsung and Apple are ripping off a KickStarter project because it generated over ten million dollars (Pebble Watch).

Deep inside monetary crisis, with half of the planet starving and people still throw away money on BS stuff like "iJerk", "iF@@K" and "iScrew". Give me a break...

No, now Samsung and Apple are ripping off a KickStarter project because it generated over ten million dollars (Pebble Watch).
Well, if it is cheaper and has more features then it will win, but it wont have as much advertising and publicity. This type of big business stuff makes me sad :(

Samsung and Apple are late to the watch segment. Most of the watches I've seen seem to be secondary notification type devices. Any opportunity to save the battery of the phone or tablet makes sense but if Samsung or Apple doesn't push the envelope beyond secondary notifications, an announcement in this space would be nothing more than a branding opportunity.

Back