TechSpot

Samsung unveils high-density NAND flash chips

By Jos
Jan 13, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samsung Electronics today unveiled two new flash-based storage solutions for mobile use: a high-density 64GB moviNAND flash memory chip and a removable 32GB micro secure digital (SD) card. Both products are based on Samsung's 32Gbit NAND flash memory chips, which use 30 nanometer lithography technology, allowing large amounts of storage to be crammed into tiny packages.

Read the whole story
  2. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Nice :) Good thing my 32Gb ipod touch is good enough for me for the time being :)
  3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

If some of the new Android phones had this level of internal storage in them... I'd be leaping on them. Hopefully they'll get on the stick soon!
  4. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Speaking as an andriod phone owner, internal storage is not that big of a deal, but it would be nice considering my downloaded apps get stored in internal memory rather than my SD card. Im sure HTC will follow suite soon, need to upgrade my G1 soon
  5. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

@aj_the_kidd - that app situation with Android is precisely what I was thinking about... The Appleheads love to throw that storage limitation into the arguments of why iPhones are superior - they can use any of their full internal storage space for apps, while Android only gets to use the limited internal, and even though it can expand with microSD cards, that isn't app space, just storage space.

I have a feeling that as apps become more complex, and the newer faster processors of units like the latest iPhones and the Google Nexus are capable of more and more things, the apps are going to grow dramatically in size - just look at the comparison between old DOS and Windows7 to get an idea of how software grows to fit the environment it lives in (like a goldfish). As those apps grow larger and larger, limited internal space will become a hindrance.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.