TechSpot

Samsung's next bright idea: Smart LED light bulbs

By Shawn Knight
Mar 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung has unveiled a line of smart LED light bulbs just days after rival LG did the same. The company's offering is aptly called the Smart Bulb and will be available in a number of different styles (traditional bulbs, tubes,...

Read more

2. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,587   +397

I'd probably go with LG's version since I use Wi-Fi a lot more than I use BT at home. Too bad Samsung, you missed a good opportunity here. Hopefully your Wi-Fi version is only a couple months away.

At LG's $32 a pop, I'll have to wait for Samsung or someone else to catch up to LG and bringing the price down before I buy.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,708   +1,080

Ha! That didn't take long. Clearly Samsung reads Techspot.

I wonder if their app to control the lights would be available for iPhone.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,235   +1,881

I'm sure they will but they should charge them for it unless they upgraded to a Samsung device. :)

5. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Addict Posts: 135   +50

Likely they'll make it so you can only control them their their Gaylaxy Gears that no one wants.

6. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 235   +59

I just spent over $300 on bulbs that will last me 15-20 years!!! sheesh.

7. Smart bulb? my girlfriend could control (almost) all the bulbs in her house through remote control or several touchscreen-control-panels placed on the wall, or with her smartphone/pc (wifi, IR, internet, bluetooth)

she doesn't use any smart bulb, instead using 'smart light socket' and 'intelligent electricity circuit' on her house..