Samsung's Project Beyond captures continuous 3D imagery, streams it to Gear VR headset

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung project 3d-capturing gear street view virtual reality vr headset developer conference oculus vr gear vr project beyond

Samsung is bringing the flexibility and convenience of Google’s Street View imagery directly to consumers through a new product called Project Beyond.

Announced at its ongoing developer conference in San Francisco, Project Beyond is comprised of 16 individual HD-quality cameras arranged in a circular pattern. It’s designed to capture continuous 360-degree imagery (a gigapixel of data each second), stitch it all together as if it were a video and stream it to Samsung’s Gear VR headset.

samsung project 3d-capturing gear street view virtual reality vr headset developer conference oculus vr gear vr project beyond

The idea here is that someone can be sitting on their couch and experience what it’d be like to be somewhere else in the world (so long as there’s someone on the other end willing to set up Project Beyond). There’s plenty of potential as it could be used to stream live events like concerts, sporting events, presidential inaugurations or other major world events.

When Samsung debuted its Gear VR headset a couple of months ago, most likely saw it as another “me too” device but Project Beyond demonstrates that Samsung is indeed committed to virtual reality technology.

As you may know, Gear VR is only compatible with the Galaxy Note 4 although Samsung said at today’s conference that they’ll be releasing new and improved Gear VR headsets compatible with other smartphones in the future.

Unfortunately, the company didn’t provide any information on a target release date for Project Beyond nor do we know how much it will cost.

Permalink to story.

Interesting idea. I think it will stumble on the fact that it can never provide a live feed because no matter where it is located, the amount of data for upload will be just too much for any kind of wireless connection.

Interesting idea. I think it will stumble on the fact that it can never provide a live feed because no matter where it is located, the amount of data for upload will be just too much for any kind of wireless connection.

For now yes, in the not too distant future I see it being more viable. As compression increases wireless communication bandwidth also increases. As for CCTV this would allow for greater variety/selection of camera locations during sporting events and eliminate camera people in the process. I see Formula 1 sticking these on all the cars to replace the current system, it would allow a proper 360 degree view at the press of a button, they just have to make sure they can capture smooth video in said environment.

Back