SanDisk finally begins shipping G3 solid state drives

By Jos
Feb 23, 2010
  1. It's been over a year since SanDisk first announced their G3 series solid-state drives, but today the company finally began shipping them to North American and European retailers. The new SSDs are pitched as a "compelling alternative" to 7200RPM hard drives, for both home and business users, with read and write speeds topping out at 220MB/s and 120MB/s respectively.

Read the whole story
  2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

I always get excited when I see news headlines about solid state drives. The excitement is always killed when I see the price tags.
  3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

ha ha! same, i really would like one has its a good performance boost when windows is installed on it. Just a shame they will charge an arm and a leg for it.
  4. LightHeart

LightHeart TS Rookie Posts: 155

Agree with other comments

A quick check of prices:
    32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - $70 or $2.19/GB
    64 GB SSD - $155 or $2.42/GB
    2 TB internal HD - $170 or $0.08/GB
  5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

Spot on!
  6. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,025   +612

It's a waiting game for those who can't afford or simply don't want to spend that much money on faster storage. Agreed, you are still paying premium prices, but if you are a performance oriented user and love to multitask, it's a great upgrade option to have.
  7. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 308

Doesn't seem like the prices have been coming down at all...maybe even going up. Wonder if they will come down to reality in our lifetime?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.