SanDisk finally begins shipping G3 solid state drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

It's been over a year since SanDisk first announced their G3 series solid-state drives, but today the company finally began shipping them to North American and European retailers. The new SSDs are pitched as a "compelling alternative" to 7200RPM hard drives, for both home and business users, with read and write speeds topping out at 220MB/s and 120MB/s respectively.

The MLC-based drives use SanDisk's own ExtremeFFS flash management system which allegedly improves random write performance and extends the endurance of SanDisk G3 SSDs. Windows 7 owners will be able to take advantage of the OS' native TRIM support to avoid performance degradation. Of course, the drives will also work under Windows XP, Windows Vista, Linux and Mac OS X systems.

Prices have taken a significant bump from the original announcement, with the 60GB model going for $230 and the 120GB version for $400 -- up from the $150 and $250 mentioned in early 2009. SanDisk made no mention of the 240GB unit that was announced last year so for now the line will apparently top at 120GB.

Permalink to story.

I always get excited when I see news headlines about solid state drives. The excitement is always killed when I see the price tags.

ha ha! same, i really would like one has its a good performance boost when windows is installed on it. Just a shame they will charge an arm and a leg for it.

Agree with other comments

A quick check of prices:
32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - $70 or $2.19/GB
64 GB SSD - $155 or $2.42/GB
2 TB internal HD - $170 or $0.08/GB

LightHeart said:
A quick check of prices:
32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - $70 or $2.19/GB
64 GB SSD - $155 or $2.42/GB
2 TB internal HD - $170 or $0.08/GB

Spot on!

It's a waiting game for those who can't afford or simply don't want to spend that much money on faster storage. Agreed, you are still paying premium prices, but if you are a performance oriented user and love to multitask, it's a great upgrade option to have.

Doesn't seem like the prices have been coming down at all...maybe even going up. Wonder if they will come down to reality in our lifetime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back