Sandy Bridge-E 3960X early review

dividebyzero

The folks over at inpai have an early review of sorts over at their place.
As expected, no improvement over SB in gaming, but productivity and content creation do much better.

Not too sure about the "more is better" aspect of power usage though...maybe China rewards people for being anti-green

e0c27156-28dc-4189-9d30-9391df52a783.jpg

[All the performance slides in one place here -XS Forums post #3]

Yikes, 15MB L3 is actually foretelling on this thing. I couldn't find the MSR on this thing, did you catch it Chef?

Price ?
3960X = $990
3930K = $555
According to the first slide in the XS post (post #3). Sounds about right. Intel's top desktop part is always $999, and the 3930X is at the same price point that the Core i7 940 started at.

Interesting to note that the model number is again starting fairly low. Nehalem started at 965. Since then 970, 975X, 980/980X and 990X have been added. Starting at 3960X would indicate that Intel are expecting to be able to bin a little higher than 3.3GHz -hypothetically would mean that a 3990X would be 3.6GHz...which would make the 3960X corresponding much cheaper in a few months...at least, thats my hope since I'd likely opt for the 3930K to begin with.

I've got 2 builds (one of each) and one possible (my own) so I'm awaiting Steve's review eagerly since Australia and New Zealand share the same regional distributors, and I'm keen to find out who will be first out of the blocks with motherboards here ( probably Asus and Gigabyte, but a little more choice wouldn't go amiss)

keen to find out who will be first out of the blocks with motherboards here ( probably Asus and Gigabyte, but a little more choice wouldn't go amiss)

well, you can't go wrong with Asus....I mean...you would be a fool not to pick up an Asus.:haha::rolleyes:

The Chinese-English translation is a bit off... It's actually saying smaller is better for power consumption (as you would expect!)

well, you can't go wrong with Asus....I mean...you would be a fool not to pick up an Asus.:haha::rolleyes:

Would the exorcist please report to emergency room B stat..
would the exorcist please report to emergency room B....forum members spirit and free will subjugated by Kyle Bennett

Concerned family member: "What's wrong with him?"
red1776 [delirious mumbling]" ...and here's a gold award for you Crosshair 5..."
Shamen : "He's possessed! BEGONE evil spirit of marketing masquerading as independant analysis!"
red1776 [still delirious]...and Mars 2!...I'd give you 2 gold awards, one for each gpu"
Concerned family member: "Is there nothing you can do?"
Shamen: "The [H]oh,PR is strong in this one"
red1776 [still etc...wait! he's awake] " This life support equipment...is it...Asus?"
Nurse: " Uh no, Gigabyte, EVGA and ASRock"
red1776: "NOooooooooooo"

Would the mortuary assistant please report to emergency room B

Would the exorcist please report to emergency room B stat..
would the exorcist please report to emergency room B....forum members spirit and free will subjugated by Kyle Bennett

Concerned family member: "What's wrong with him?"
red1776 [delirious mumbling]" ...and here's a gold award for you Crosshair 5..."
Shamen : "He's possessed! BEGONE evil spirit of marketing masquerading as independant analysis!"
red1776 [still delirious]...and Mars 2!...I'd give you 2 gold awards, one for each gpu"
Concerned family member: "Is there nothing you can do?"
Shamen: "The [H]oh,PR is strong in this one"
red1776 [still etc...wait! he's awake] " This life support equipment...is it...Asus?"
Nurse: " Uh no, Gigabyte, EVGA and ASRock"
red1776: "NOooooooooooo"

Would the mortuary assistant please report to emergency room B

ROFL!

huge_24_124304.JPG

...alternate ending...

doctor: Clear!
nurse: Doctor!...I cant find the load line calibration on this!
doctor: then he's a gonner!
Kyle: I knew I should have thrown that @%$^ *^&$@ piece of *&%^# out the window!

Back