Screen goes black when playing video games

So I am having a problem with my computer when I play some of my games after a short time the screen goes black and I can hear the sound looping... My guess is after doing some research brings it down to one of two things 1) Graphics card is over heating or 2) My power supply is not good enough for my computer. I think it is 2 cause I downloaded CPUID HWMonitor and it is running between 35C and 45C depending on the game. I did update all of my drives. Also tried using eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite (I would post a link but I do not have over 5 posts >.<) to check the wattage I would need and it says 730W but I am not 100% sure I am doing it right. If I am missing anything please let me know and I will fill in any gaps. So in the end I am looking for some opinion/help.

My specs for my computer are::

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Intel Core i5 2500k Sandy Bridge
16GB ram (4 x 4GB)
GTX 560 Ti
630W Power supply
Running Windows 7 64 bit
Antec Lanboy air Blue Black / Blue ATX Mid Tower Computer Modular Case

Thank you for any help on this matter!

Try this simple and yet solid diagnostic step: Open and remove your case side panel. Find a small fan and have it blow directly into your system at either low or medium speeds. Now play your games and tell us the results.

Yes most likely though make sure all fans are working properly. Anytime a person games not only does it put a load on the graphics card which increases heat it also puts a load on the cpu, RAM etc. which increases heat.

So make sure you have good air flow. By the way, no dust build up, correct?

I clean it every other week. The fans are all working. I will try moving the graphics card down a slot to be more in line with the case fans and the air flow seems to be good.

Excellent! Glad it is working out for you. Good air flow is critical especially when gaming. :)

Back