TechSpot

Seagate outs first 1.5TB 2.5-inch portable hard drive

By Matthew
Sep 21, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Seagate has expanded its range of FreeAgent GoFlex portable hard drives, adding the industry's first 1.5TB external 2.5-inch HDD -- a form factor that has been stuck at 1TB since Western Digital launched its 1TB Scorpio Blue last July. Offering some insight on just how large 1.5TB is, Seagate says its new drive can hold up to 60 HD movies or what amounts to years of music.

Read the whole story

2. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

Ugh, Id just hate to have 1.5TB of stuff to wind up just gone because if a drive failure... I only see a sense in smaller portable drives as all my backups are in a mirrored raid. (and thats only 500GB itself)

I'd also like to know the real world figures... what's USB 3.0 speeds average real world figure anyways?

3. en0nym0us

en0nym0us TS Member Posts: 70

I wouldn't pay $229 for that.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,702   +338

I imagine this is one of the 12.5mm 2.5" drives, so it won't work in a lot of notebooks.

I understand the argument of having such a large drive fail, and thus you lose a lot of data at once. But really, thats how it has always been. If you want a large drive and not have it fail you have to have redundancy, and that becomes expensive. But in reality, I think on average these new drives aren't going to fail any more often than a small drive, so its no more of a risk failing, its just the amount of loss.

So really, if you don't need 1.5TB then just stick with more than one of a smaller drive. But for some of us, being able to have more than one large drive is wanted/necessary.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.