TechSpot

Security hole found in Mozilla browser

By olefarte
Jul 9, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After having read another thread here at TS, I've begun to use Firefox more and more, even though I like MyIE2 better. But, because of security concerns, I thought I'd move to Firefox.

Now I see this at ZDNet.
    I guess Firefox is not immune to security flaws, and I imagine as more people use it, problems will only get worse. But I'm going to continue to migrate to it anyway.
  2. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Interesting find olefarte. Thanks for the link. Didnt expect this to happen.
  3. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 583

No software can be bulletproof, y&w, so it was to be expected
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

5. young&wild

I m aware of that. Its just that I didnt expect it would be that bit serious.
  6. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 1,427

I myself, am not a IE fanboy. I used to use Opera, and switched to MyIE2, because I liked it better, even though it wasn't as fast. I'm probably going to keep using Firefox, even if there is security leak once in a while. I'ts for sure better than IE, and IE has a new security problem, seems like every day.

Oh, almost forgot. MyIE2 has just renamed there browser to Maxthon, (maybe to get away from the IE stigma?). I've had nothing but trouble out of there new version, even had to reboot my computer a couple of times, after it locked everything up. So if nothing else, that's one good reason for me to switch to Firefox, and I like it better than Opera.
  7. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

Har har har. Your browsers are no longer so perfect aye? I love it when I am right and all of you are wrong. (Your browsers ARENT perfect as you all claim).

Sweet sweet truth.
  8. DigitAlex

Your last post proves how silly you are and that you are unable to read just what we post. Nobody said it was flawless, bulletproof or perfect.
  9. young&wild

Well at least the Mozilla team got it fixed real quick. What about IE? ;)
  10. Rick

Very true. :)
  11. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

It's not what "you" (alternative browser users) said in this post. It's what they say and claim constantly against IE. IE isn't perfect nor is any other browser and IE does the job I want it to do every time. As many times as I have tried other browsers (I've tried Mozilla, Opera, MyIE2, etc several times over) and I always switch back to IE. That is just my whole point. Why does it work for me and no one else. So what if it has "holes" or "bugs". WE are techies, were suppost to know how to get around these issues. So in that case why are we using alternative browsers? That baffles me.

12. Spike

Spike TS Rookie Posts: 2,371

I must admit, for the moment, I've gone back to IE. Not because it's better, but because I'm lazy. lol

When I'm browsing unknown territory though, Firefox is my browser of choice. No-matter what the reason, IE is exploited and attacked a heck of a lot, and I find Firefox a lot more resiliant against spyware, browser hijacks, and the likes. I'm so sick of cleaning up and updating IE.

I wish MS would admit defeat on it and rebuild it from the ground up. Maybe if they do that I won't have to get it patched every other day.
  13. Rick

While I'm a fairly dedicated IE user, alternative browsers do offer some features simply not found with Internet Explorer. IE is kind of behind when it comes to "innovation".

Aside from stability and fixes, there haven't been any major improvements for years.
  14. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Just started using Firefox. How do I make the window for "Post Reply" on this forum larger? It is awfully narrow.

Firefox on W2K/SP4, 18" vis. monitor with 1024x768 resolution
  15. DigitAlex

You can't, it's in the HTML, nothing to do with Firefox.

And we don't use alternative browsers to get around porblems. I started using Firefox about two years ago because it was small, launched fast unlike some others, was not tied to windows (it was able to keep the same browser in Linux), has mouse gestures, extensions and was updated with new features and releases very often, unlike IE.
  16. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Some very good points.

That's the first thing I noticed about Firefox as well - its just does what you want it to do.

I still think that IE displays some pages better, but that is probably just because web developers sometimes lazily only code for IE and don't properly test with other browsers.

I think Firefox will get more and more popular.
  17. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 1,427

Looks like a lot of people are starting to use Mozilla. Read this for more.

18. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

19. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

You mean innovation that is obvious to users. IE packs a puch under the covers (as it integrates with the OS), but that is exactly why it is a security risk. It was designed at a time when security wasn't such a big issue as it is today. By the time longhorn comes along, much of these issues should be a thing of the past (lets hope).

I read an article recently in which the author has an explanation for why he believes Microsoft hasn't developed it's browser further, in recent years.

You can find the article over here ...

How Microsoft Lost the API War
    Incidentally, he also says that ASP.NET is currently the best web development tool out there, which if anything shows that Microsoft may be changing its attitude towards web development, and hence Internet Explorer, may yet see some significant changes when longhorn finally arrives (my guess).

Another view: IE is of course FREE, so it isn't in Microsoft's interest to spend money developing it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.