Several BSODs within past couple weeks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneyardBrew

Hi,

I am running Windows XP SP2 and just recently I have been recieving multiple BSODs that happen randomly. I have a custom built computer that was put together a few years ago that has never had this problem until recently. At first I figured it was a bad OS load so I reloaded my pc. Then a new BSOD started to appear. These were happening frequently. Then a different started coming up. This has happened during games, surfing the web, installing programs, you name it! Even when my computer is idle! I have recieved the following BSODs: (I will list the numbers and the titles it has given me, because I don't remember which ones go with which.)

Driver IRQL_ Less_than_or_Equal

Bad_Pool_Caller - 0x000000C2

Stop 0x0000008E - KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Some of these I have recieved more than once. Before the reload I received about 4-5 BSODs. After the reload I have recieved 4 so far. I only have the minidumps from the last four after the reload.

I have been using the same hardware, video drivers and software for several months and have not installed anything different. The drivers I download are the latest ones available from the official websites and are the same ones I used way before the crashing started. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks.

My Specs

ASUS P5v800-MX
Intel Pentium D 840 3.2GHz
ULTRA DDR 3200 1GB (2x 512MB)
BFG Geforce 7800 GS OC
400W PS

Note: My latest BSOD Minidump is in my last post.

the fact that you say you reinstalled could mean a bad ram... or worse. Like kimsland said.. do a memtest then narrow it down from there. I would recommend doing one more format... but this time do NOT install in ANYTHING!!! Not even a single service pack (obviously disconnect your pc from the net), leave your computer idle for awhile and see if it BSODs... perhaps even play a game or two. Just don't install in nothing... nada, zlitch, zero... not even an instant messenger!!! If it still BSODs at least you know there is a hardware fault for sure somewhere.

I just ran a Memtest and it came up with no errors. I ran the Windows Memtest and memtest86. Neither came up with errors, and I am aware that these tests may not pick up bad RAM. I will try to get the minidumps from any future BSODs. As a last resort I will format again like you said.

nv4_mini.sys is an Nvidia miniport driver. This one comes up a lot. Try updating your drivers.

EDIT:

I uninstalled my old drivers then reinstalled the new ones. It seemed like it worked, but I just got another BSOD.

BAD_POOL_CALLER
0x000000C2

Heres the new minidump.

Inside the 1 MiniDump:

BugCheck C2, {7, cd4, 28, 82058008}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avg7rsxp.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avg7rsxp.sys
GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from 8056a9f0
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nv4_disp.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nv4_disp.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ATMFD.DLL
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ATMFD.DLL
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avg7core.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avg7core.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nv4_mini.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nv4_mini.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for fltMgr.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for fltMgr.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for drmk.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for drmk.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for sfmanm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for sfmanm.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for viaide.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for viaide.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dmload.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dmload.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ctlfacem.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ctlfacem.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avg7rsw.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avg7rsw.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avgtdi.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avgtdi.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Null.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Null.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avgclean.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avgclean.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ctljystk.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ctljystk.sys

Probably caused by : avg7rsxp.sys

AVG antivirus

Should I uninstall it? Then I won't have an Anti-Virus program. I also see Nvidia showed up again. I wonder why these programs and drivers are doing this now. I've been using the same ones for months without problems. Is there a reason why they might be acting up now?

EDIT: Talk about bad luck. I just uninstalled the program and I got a new BSOD. This time

IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal
0x000000a

Here's the minidump.

Also, I notice most of the time, not all the time though, that I get the BSODs when rebooting.

Attachments

• Mini030608-02.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 5
The driver in question is avg7rsw.sys which belongs to AVG anti-virus, specifically their resident shield. AVG is a great software but a lot of people have issues with this driver.

I suggest either updating your software or contacting their tech support and tell them specifically that your BSOD is caused by this driver.

P.S. Tell them your minidumps were read and supply any information that both kimsland and I gave.

Inside the last minidump:
BugCheck 1000000A, {6, 2, 1, 804e9e61}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avg7rsw.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avg7rsw.sys
Probably caused by : avg7rsw.sys

Oh I see Route44 already did this for you!

That's weird. I thought I uninstalled that. Well, hopefully it doesn't happen again. Thanks again for your time, kimsland and Route44. I'll keep an eye out for any more BSODs.

okay, if you uninstalled it and you are running another antivirus then I would say this is your culprit.

The issue is anytime you have two anti-virus or two firewallls at the same time you will have them conflicting with each other causing crashes.

It seems that AVG has left a remnant behind and even stray left-over drivers can cause issues. Norton is notorious for this. Try and delete anything that is AVG and see if that works.

I don't have any other antivirus installed. Well, I just recieved another BSOD. The code was:

0x0000005
When I rebooted the computer only recognized 512MB of RAM. Which is one stick. I opened it up and reseated them and the second one was recognized again. That's weird. Here is the minidump.

No minidump posted. from auhma.org:0x00000005: INVALID_PROCESS_ATTACH_ATTEMPT
A specific problem is known to exist with Win XP SP2 and Server 2003 in combination with certain antivirus programs, firewalls, and similar software.

But you still have AVG drivers left behind. They need to be romoved and then get an anti-virus.

0x000000C2: BAD_POOL_CALLER
A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.

Did you clean out ALL of the drivers for AVG? It appears remnants of AVG is still on your computer.

I tried. I uninstalled it. Removed the remaining folders and looked in the registry for any leftover keys. Is there anything else I should do?

Somewhere something is causing a bad IRQL level.

When you ran memTest how many passes did you allow?

Run chkdsk.

I let memTest run 3 passes with both 512MB sticks in. I think I am going to run it with each 512MB stick alone. If it passes I will swap it for the other one. If it passes again I will try both in the other slot. Just to make sure the slot is alright. I find it a little weird that my computer only detected 512MB when I booted up yesterday when both 512MB sticks were in.

I just got another BSOD. Hopefully you guys can figure this one out. It came up with the Nvidia driver this time. But I just reinstalled them the other day. These are the same version I've been using since December too, which are the latest ones. I don't get how any driver can be the problem. This is a clean install of XP with the same drivers I have been using for months. Why would they cause a conflict now?

Here's the minidump.

First dump is an 0xD1 and it is the same nVidia driver as before.

However, the other dump is an 0x44 as the debugger states this is a very difficult one to track down because you have two drivers in conflict with each one thinking they own the same packet, with one overshadowing the other.

The drivers are usually hardware driver issues. Your Nvidia driver has come up numerous times and the process h12.exe, which belongs to the game CSS, has shown up quite a bit also.

Microsoft's answer to the 0x44 is to update your hardware manufacturer's drivers, but I believe you did so with your video card.

1. I am wondering if it is your ethernet connection/NIC card or if you need to update your chipset drivers.

2. Try uninstalling Counter-Strike to see if that brings stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back