Several Different STOP Errors (7B, 7E, 24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am receiving several different STOP errors after running a virus scan and deleting some viruses on my laptop.

Currently running XP Pro SP2.
Lenovo ThinkPad T500.

Start Windows normally - 0x24
Last known good configuration - 0x24
Safe mode with loading SPTD.sys - 0x7B
Safe mode without loading SPTD.sys - 0x7E
Windows Setup CD - 0x7B before during initial setup screen before reaching selection to install or recover.

I cannot reach the recovery console.

No setting I select allows me to continue to load windows. I am looking for anything that may lead to a recovery. Replacing HDD and updating BIOS is not available. It is a school computer and the BIOS is password protected which I don't have the access to.

If you have had viruses there is a very strong chance you are still infected. I strongly suggest going to our Virus and Malware removal forum, read the Updated 8 Step sticky and follow the instructions.

Does your school have tech support help? Take it to them.

By the way SPTD.sys belongs to Daemon Tools and this software has been known to cause issues. First things first, though, make sure you are clean.

I found out I had a pop-up virus went to use Malwarebytes and it happened to pick up some trojans. I deleted the ones I could and when I went to restart the BSOD issue started.

As for the schools tech support, all they will do is re-image it. I would like to figure out how to do this in another way.

For the 8 step sticky.. I can't get to the desktop through any option.

At the selection of safe mode/last good config/start normally.. any selection will send it to the corresponding STOP.

Using the XP CD it starts Windows Setup and before it reaches where I want to select to install or recover I receive another STOP.

I have just tested the RAM and it's not that so its not a quick hardware fix.

0x24: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

* My hunch is the infections have either a) corrupted your harddrive itself and/or b) corrupted your operating system. If you had the OS disk you could try a Windows repair.

Thanks Route44 for another response. Unfortunately the errors would not allow me to run a Windows repair from the CD as well. It would get halfway through the Windows Setup screen and then give me 0x7B.

I was able to do an install of Vista and got that working. I just backed up all my files and then sent it in for a re-image. So now its back up and running. I don't think I'll be just leaving it now because this is a big interest to me. If this were to happen when I get out in the field and start to repair computers, I would like to know the ways to get around things like this.

So far the re-image seems to be the best solution for my problem, but then again not everyone has the same computer so that would not work with a random customer.

Hey there! I'm having the same issue and just came across your post. Did you manage to figure out what was causing the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back