Shared Printer Stops Working for Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

I've installed a shared printer on a desktop and another user who works next to this one prints to that printer. When I setup the printer for the other user it works fine and will print a test page. The next day, the person will try to print and it won't work (the PC that the printer is connected to prints fine).

The computer will act as if the printer doesn't exist or the share name is incorrect. I've used both \\computername\printername and \\computername\printersharename. Both work at first, but don't later, even if I log back into my account where I setup the printer.

Edit: Heh, this time the printer wasn't even installed on her account, but was on mine. Now I'm just kind of curious why a shared printer would suddenly think the printer doesn't exist (until you delete it and re-add it) and why sometimes a printer installed on one account won't be for another.

Would a printserver perhaps be a better solution? Netgear for Parallel/Belkin for USB. Or even a cheap 2-way switchbox.
I don't believe in PC-sharing in any kind or form.

RealBlackStuff said:
Would a printserver perhaps be a better solution? Netgear for Parallel/Belkin for USB. Or even a cheap 2-way switchbox.
I don't believe in PC-sharing in any kind or form.

We use print servers on some printers, but for a situation like this where only one user wants to print to that printer we just share the printer. Some of the printers even have mainframe addresses for mainframe printing.

The problem is fixed now. Can't say I understand why Windows doesn't install a printer for all accounts on that computer everytime they are installed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back