Sharing Dial-up connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my house has is a dial up connection. I wish to be able to access the internet in my room. Whithout having to get a seperate account. It would be nice to have both computers be able to access the internet at the same time. (I'll beit slower) Is this even possible?
All I have is a ethernet network with one hub. Would I need a router?

Thanks for any advice.
Chris

A router will do you no good unless you figure out a way to make the modem work as an ethernet bridge. I have never heard of it, but I can't think of any problems using the Windows builtin Internet Connection Sharing with dialup.

You need a copy of Windows that is WIN98 SE or higher then at the computer with the IC specify on Connection setting that this connection is shared and that computer will bridge the connection out through 1394.

On the client Add the computer to the network with Network setup wizard and say that you access the Internet through another computer. Setup a Gateway after that is completed and doublecheck all the setting, otherwise refer to Windows support.microsoft.com for more details and Version specific instructions.

And no routers are used to separate networks and would complicate the internet sharing through Dialup connection

:grinthumb

One common issue (well at least I think its common, I've had it happen a couple times) with ICS is you need to make sure both computers using it on on the same WORKGROUP. Just a little friendly reminder to anyone thats trying to implement Windows ICS.

That's right SNGX.

Also, if you are having problems, check that TCP/IP settings on both machine's network card connections are set to use DHCP, because ICS needs this technology.

Other than that, Microsoft made a pretty good job of making network address translation and everything else you need bundled up together into a just-switch-it-on package.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
One common issue (well at least I think its common, I've had it happen a couple times) with ICS is you need to make sure both computers using it on on the same WORKGROUP. Just a little friendly reminder to anyone thats trying to implement Windows ICS.

With Windows 2000 and XP this is no longer true. An XP machine set to share a net connection (either dialup or broadband) will act as a dumb gateway; you do not have to be on the same workgroup or even using a windows machine... linux and others will work with it just fine.

You also do not need to use DHCP on the client machines or the server machine... as long as you properly set the shared machine as their default gateway and set the DNS servers correctly.

Originally posted by Soul Harvester
With Windows 2000 and XP this is no longer true. An XP machine set to share a net connection (either dialup or broadband) will act as a dumb gateway; you do not have to be on the same workgroup or even using a windows machine... linux and others will work with it just fine.
Helps if they are on same workgroup if you want to share files and printers though.

Its not a requirement to be in the same workgroup, but it does help.

Its certainly the way to go if your network has Windows 2000 and win9x clients.

You can use samba to put your linux box into the workgroup or domain as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back