shell32.dll changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

Hi,

I am running AVG free and it is notifying me that "File" shell32.dll has a "Result/Infection" of Change.

After searching the web, I have found some discussion boards that call this a benign virus and suggest several options, from replacing the file while in safe mode to restoring to a previous configuration. Other sites such as the AVG free forum:

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?8,50941,50949#msg-50949

have posts suggesting that there is no virus, and that this "change" is only a result of a recent Windows Update and that I should simply tell AVG to accept the change and no longer report it.

But...since anyone can post to those boards (including virus wirters themselves), I thought I would check the TS boards to see if this problem had been posted before. But it had not. So here I am.

Any opinions on this? I am leaning toward simply accepting the change and assuming it was caused by an update, but...

a. since I don't remember ever having gotten this notification before even though I have used Windows Update many times before now

and

b. since the file details say that the most recent modification to this file occurred way back on the 19th of December,

I thought I would ask about it here, where I have always gotten good help in the past and the users are far more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks.

Note: I would post the file, but I don't know what it contains and if it might be unsafe security-wise to post it.

It probably is the result of an update. However, just to be sure, post a HJT log as per these instructions.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of billyellis only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Your HJT log is clean.

Just have HJT fix this inactive entry.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {31FF080D-12A3-439A-A2EF-4BA95A3148E8} - (no file)

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of billyellis only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back