Shutdown help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mMiniImManN

it seems that sometimes, not everytime, when i open a folder on my desktop, or even if i start internet explorer 6, my pc will restart. I dont know what's causing it to do this, i dont have any viruses, and i have no spywares. Im using Win 2000 SP4.

Pleas help, and thanks for any help in advance.

Welcome to TechSpot

Can you fill in your User Profile with PC-info in "user cp" at the top please?
After that me may be able to help you.

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Can you fill in your User Profile with PC-info in "user cp" at the top please?

ok, i filled out the optional things as you suggested, i dont know if you wanted anything more.

The problem sticks out immediately. You have 2 different types of memory. Take either one out and see if the problem dissappears. Try to swap the piece with the lower spec for an identical one with the higher spec. 512MB is enough for normal use anyway.

i've tried one stick of ram, the 400mhz piece, and then i went into the bios, and changed the ram speed to auto. I learned there was some ntoskernal errors, then it claimed i didnt have an os. I changed it to 400, same thing, then back at 333, it worked fine, except that in win, it still restarts when i open up a folder or ie6.
now im testing my stick of 333. im currently hoping, sorta, that the problem remains so that i will be sure its not my 400 ram, im hoping its just a format issue. but even so, its still anoying to format.

well, i updated all my virus and spyware defs, and it found nothing too bad. I had no viruses, and a few spyware things, some things i killed, but i dont think its these that are the cause, its possible, cuz ive had them befor, they come back somehow:(

Stop Norton Cleansweep, Netlimiter, Teatimer and Adobe's acrotray from running at startup.

Try running without this Alltotray (what does that do?).
If you don't use AIM, uninstall it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back