TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Silverstone demonstrates pumpless liquid cooler at Computex

By Scorpus ยท 7 replies
Jun 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Silverstone invited me over to their booth at Computex Taipei, where something hidden away in one of their cases caught my eye: a closed-loop CPU cooler without a pump. Normally such a cooler would have a small pump above the...

Read more

2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I think it would be rather desirable with out all the moving parts of a pump and fan. How expensive are we talking?

3. Satish Mallya

Satish Mallya TS Addict Posts: 128   +93

What you've described is a heat pipe with a natural convection radiator.
    They've been around a while.

4. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 1,926   +202

They wouldn't say exactly how much, but I gather it's prohibitively expensive

5. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash TS Maniac Posts: 253   +108

They can't just tease that and not give a number. We live in a world where a $1000 video card is a viable product so I have no doubt that an expensive, silent CPU cooler has a market too.

6. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,253   +1,307

Yes this is exactly the same as a heat pipe with a natural convection radiator :)

7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,837   +668

It sounds the liquid is quite expensive... hopefully they come up with a cheap solution :)

The fanless no sound part sounds great.

8. I see the article says passive radiator. I know it's a wide radiator but surely you'd need fans on that.