Smartphone usage soars by 193% in one year

By Matthew
Mar 25, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdMob's February 2010 mobile analysis shows a substantial increase in smartphone and MID activity. Smartphone usage reportedly grew 193% from last year, representing 48% of AdMob's global traffic. Mobile Internet device traffic increased by 403% to account for 17% of all activity in AdMob's network, and Apple's iPod Touch was responsible for 93% of that surge.

Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,235   +315

LOL...193%? Is that even a real figure? :p
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I think a lot of people get a new phone every two years or so. With smartphones being cheaper and cheaper at contract renewal time, I think its just a natural progression of things.
  4. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Booster Posts: 991   +82

I believe that 193% is true. Almost all of the people i know who have bought a phone bought one with a touchscreen and the trend will most like continue for a very long time. I'm also thinking of buying a new phone to replace my very old one.
  5. megrawab

megrawab Newcomer, in training Posts: 93

Others even buy new phones two or more at a time availing for more communication service brands...
  6. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

I'll believe that. The trend is mobile computing, and some of these smart phones have more oomph than my 5 yr old laptop :p.
  7. We at Symbian are thrilled to see the growth of smartphone traffic, and are eager to support that growth across all devices as we continue to show momentum in the US and beyond.

Globally, Symbian owns more than 50 percent market share of operating systems and is growing at 20 percent a year. In a January 2010 report issued by IDC, Symbian is expected to retain its leadership position, a stark contrast to AdMob's report: http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS22176610.

With the highly competitive Symbian^3 devices due to enter the US market as early as Q3 of 2010, Symbian’s presence in the states is growing and anticipates a significant increase in AdMob’s relevant shares moving forward.

Andrea Heuer for Symbian Communications
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.