TechSpot

*Smartphones* is a physical keyboard important to you?

?

Is a physical keyboard important to you?

1. yes

50.0%
  2. no

50.0%
By yRaz
Aug 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I bought my LG quantum a few months after WP7 was released, the thing that sold me was the physical slide out keyboard. Having used it for so long I find it is more comfortable but slower than the on screen keyboard. The problem with the on screen keyboad is that it is harder to fix type-o's and takes up valuable screen real estate. Unless I am writing a lengthy email on my phone I hardly ever use the keyboard. While I'm happy to have it when I need to use it, I don't like the extra weight and thickness that comes with it.

Over all, it's not nearly as important to me as it once was.

What are your thoughts about physical/onscreen keyboards?

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,600   +629

Personally, I don't care for a physical keyboard when it comes to phones. While the on-screen keyboard can be problematic sometimes (especially with long messages), I find it's a reasonable tradeoff from the added weight/volume and mechanicals of a physical keyboard. If a situation arrises where I would benefit from a physical keyboard (typing something in excess of 250 words, for example), chances are that, 99 times out of 100, it'll be written from a computer. For that 1% of the time I don't have access to a computer... I'll just wait until I do, haha!

3. Zilpha

Zilpha TS Enthusiast Posts: 349

Before Swype I'd have said I needed a physical keyboard every time. Now? Gosh I don't even know how I managed to type out messages without it.

4. Tony Turner

Tony Turner TS Rookie

A physical (slideout) keyboard is very important to me. I have what is called an 'Essential Tremor' & while I continually say that I don't consider it essential, it still leaves me quite visually entertaining when having soup with my meal & totally frustrated by accidentally touching the wrong spot on my touchscreen or double-tapping when I had no intention to do so. I need a physical keyboard & having it slide out keeps the form factor small enough, with big enough keys, to work for my needs. A BB-style keyboard is useless. QWERTY slideout for me, please. A smartphone is great, keeps track of meetings, app't's, events, lists, etc. & I wouldn't be without one. It's got a better memory than I have at 61. I can touch, slide & pinch as needed, but for typing I need a real keyboard.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.