Solid State Drive Comparison - Round 2

I seriously cannot wait until SSDs start coming out in larger capacities and at more affordable prices, the difference in PC performace seems phenomenal!

While comparing the speed of these is interesting isn't it true that this type of drive is so much faster than regular mechanical hard drives that there is no comparison? Relatively speaking isn't the difference in speed between the various SSD's insignificant?

@David40, we agree with you, but considering you may be in the lookout to buy a new SSD and the drives are all in the same price range, we are trying to guide you to get the best deal for your money.

Julio, what are the temperatures of these drives? Should I expect these solid state drive to run cooler than my WD Raptor's? For me, that there might be a reason to switch. If I can get my case's internal temps down without adding fans I'd have a more reliable computer that I could live with.

Julio, what are the temperatures of these drives? Should I expect these solid state drive to run cooler than my WD Raptor's? For me, that there might be a reason to switch. If I can get my case's internal temps down without adding fans I'd have a more reliable computer that I could live with.

Yes they are significantly cooler. There are no moving parts and they consume very little power so the thermal output is low.

@David40, SSD are apparently not always better than traditional. Our development team recently all upgraded to Lenevo T400 with Samsung SSD. The performance was amazing at first, but after a few months of usage they're abysmal. When compiling moderate size projects or checking things out from SVN, the computer is totally unusable for a few minutes. We see read Response Times in the 1.5-2.5 SECOND range (normal response times are 1-10 MS).

The CrystalDiskMark results I have for my Samsung SSD are much lower than those posted, particularly the 4K results which is where we see problems (compiling and checking stuff out works with thousands of small files).

We're going to have to replace all of our SSD HD's.

My impression of the SSD's is that they are terrific - if you aren't writing and rewriting the data over and over again. It sounds like you may have just burned them out due to constant compiling and recompiling. I don't know if these would be ideal for a development environment with a heavy read\write use. Sounds like you guys are beyond "power users".

The article is fantastic and really great information. They are really beefing up the capacity of these drives - I think it might be time to go shopping!

Back