TechSpot

Someone sent me a spam message from board

1. I read the rules and do not know if this is the right forum to post in but I had asked for some help and this guy sent me a PM for a site that you have to pay for the help

Code:
    samyloo  
    Newcomer, in training   Member since: Oct 2008, 44 posts 

service unlock 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for all laptop password link : ***:// [COLOR="Red"]SPAM link removed[/COLOR]

good service 

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Thanks happydownloader

samyloo shouldn't be sending his lollypop links (for a pay service)
    This is against forums rules
    PMing on the other hand is difficult to govern (not sure if the rules apply actually)

I'd be interested in Julios response

p.s. I had to edit out the silly spam link in your message (ie we're on the forum now)

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

I've taken care of the issue. You won't be recieving any more spam PMs from him.

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

I'm not sure if that's the best action SNGX1275
    Otherwise I could Ban quite a number of known others

It seems to be a little gray (ie the PM issue)
    I'm writing here to get feedback (even from Julio)

By the way, I'm actually happy if this is the normal action applied though ;)
    So I'm not at total defensiveness to these members
    But you may have opened a can of worms.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

There is no can of worms. If someone PMs new members with spam links they are no different than a person that spams the forum with those links. They just think they found a workaround. There is no difference IMO. I banned him, I expect that is what would be done by all forums.

6. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,570   +338

I agree, PM spamming if anything is only worse than posting spam on the boards.

Banning is well in order and although we completely respect user's privacy we reserve the right to take action if we confirm such activities.

7. happydownloader

happydownloader TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for keeping such a nice forum guys and being on top of things
    Now if only I could get in this dang password locked laptop :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.