Something is slowing down my computer, not sure what. Using Windows XP Pro

For the past couple of weeks, my computer has been bogging down like nobody's business, usually at night. There are no scheduled updates, I've run multiple virus scans using different online scanners suggested here and on other sites, run anti-malware scanners, run HiJackThis, and only one of them came up with anything:

System Volume Information\_restore{A116F2FO-7A2C-43AE-853A-B12D26A1BF91}A0026332.exe

The program was BitDefender, I think it was called.

There is high memory usage by multiple programs for reasons I canNOT figure out, IE8 with freeze up frequently, the computer itself will freeze up when IE8 is not being run, and it's been doing weird things like letters being capitalized when CAPS lock is not on and vice versa.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to track down the culprit(s) and fix my laptop? I'm running Windows XP SP3 on an Acer Aspire 3100.

You should be able to get rid of that {A116F2FO-7A2C-43AE-853A-B12D26A1BF91}A0026332.exe simply by emptying your recycle bin...
BUT, I would not recommend that you do that yet!
If you suspect malware, please check in with our anti-malware team.
Broni, Bobbye and Crunchie do a great job of staying on top of requests.
And a thorough check (even if it comes up negative) will only ease your mind.
If they say you are clean, then come back to this thread and we will pursue other possibilities.

Please read the notes at the top of the forum (stickies) before beginning, and then follow all instructions carefully.
Start Here

Very slow laptop?

In addition to the previous advice, would be worth knowing if the hard drive is getting close to full? Does Internet Explorer have too many add-ons? Is all of the RAM working? Maybe 2 different Anti-virus programs running at the same time?

Weekly Disk Clean-ups are run on this laptop, so I'm not sure the Recycle Bin is the culprit.

I have a 120GB hard drive, split into two partitions - C: has 70.6GB free out of 91.7, and so far, nothing has been put on E: other than anything Partition Wizard might have put on it when it was created. The partition is a new development and while it might be a contirbuting factor in the recent bogging, I do not believe it is a main factor, as the bogging down has been going on for awhile.

IE8 has been pared down, as far as add-ons go, so on'y Google Toolbar is there.

I have one anti-virus program - AVG Internet Security v9.0.862.

On a side note, the computer is no longer registering the DVD-RW drive. From what I've seen in my Google searches, this is a fairly common problem with products from the DVD drive manufacturer. So far, none of the fixes suggested online work for me. However, I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this particular issue. Supposedly, the isue is caused by some kind of OS update incompatibility or hiccup. If I need to take this to a different forum, might someone be so kind as to give me directions? :)

OK. For the DVD not being seen problem, try downloading from 'iobit' their new program, http://www.majorgeeks.com/IObit_Toolbox_d6503.html ( This is the correct link!). Use the 'Winfix' section, in the 'Advanced' tab, then 'system' , scroll down and you will find a 'fix' for CD and DVD drive 'not seen' problem.
As a general rule, I find if the whole system is becoming slow to respond, I run a registry cleaner, then defrag it too. There are many who will say never touch the registry, but back it up first, and you can go back if you think it's worse.
I use this one, and just clear the green entries it finds.
http://download.cnet.com/Wise-Regis...05508.html?part=dl-6288537&subj=dl&tag=button It can back up the registry first. To use, click 'scan', then 'fix'. Leave the orange colour entries, just use it as it installs. It can defrag too, but I have used a different program, through all of 2010, http://www.winmend.com/ (registry defrag) Get the freeware version. It only does one thing, but I would be surprised if you don't see a big difference in your PC general speed. I use these programs often. Hope this helps.

I use IOBIT Advanced System Care Pro and that does wonders on all my Windows 7 systems and some XP one left over. Still can't follow everyone as OS does bog down. But you know Hardware can fail and you never know until it's too like. But under Windows 7 it will give you the BSOD mostly that is from failed hardware. I would check out your hardware first. If you feel the system is slowing down, then check software which your doing and check for pest under the safe mode.

So:

1. Hardware (Video, RAM, CPU, MOBO, outdated ROM, HDD, CD, DVD etc)
2. Software (OS, Registry, fragment files, junk files an etc)
3. Pest (malware, worms, virus, cloaked breeders an etc)

...people should not do things to my laptop without me knowing. My boyfriend 'installed' a new version of XP without deleting the partition, then started the installation process all over again, left the apartment, and came back to find one of our friend's gf finishing the installation.

We thought she'd reformatted, until he tried to install one of his computer games and found that it was still installed. However, all our other programs were missing. For the most part, the computer runs way better than it used to. IE8, on the other hand, bogs down at odd times. I've begun using Advanced System Optimizer v3 to keep an eye on the registry.

For now, I think I'm done working on the Acer. If there are any other problems, I'll come back.

Back