Sony experiences drop in PS3, PSP sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Sony's sales aren't living up to expectations, as their games division is feeling sharp drops in PS3 and PSP figures for Q1 2009. Overall sales for all PlayStation hardware were down 37.4% compared to a year ago. The massive hit included a half-million fewer PS3s and 2.4 million less PSPs, contributing to a $2.571 billion revenue drop for Sony. The decline was also attributed to poor Vaio hardware and game sales. Games may have taken the biggest hit, with 8 million fewer PS3 titles and 3.5 million fewer PSP titles being sold.

Sony did manage to improve in the area of PS2 sales, with the company pushing out 1.6 million units. Still, the decade-old console is not Sony's mainstay and won't help them much in making up for other shortcomings. There is some room to give them for Q1 not being prime for sales, though. After making a decent comeback in the latter half of 2008, Sony is likely scrambling to come up with a plan for the remainder of the year.

Permalink to story.

The PS2 hardware is still selling strong?! Just goes to show me that games are about having fun and not just cutting edge graphics. Its hard for me to believe that a pre-Xbox 1 game system could still have a market this far from launch. In that line of thinking, Sony made a great victory. But it looks like consumers are replacing aged units or buying second units as software titles are down. I'd expect to find that secondhand game title sales are keeping this system alive.

yep all console sales are down. techspot just posted a story called "Nintendo sales drop 40% amid lack of hit software titles" and i bet xbox numbers are just as bad if not worse.

yay! die consoles die! pc rocks!
ps3= 2 ps2
what you get: bluray(who needs it?), usb's
what you loose: money!
get pc - youll get everything ps3 have and even more

Well lets see, since UMD's are going the way of the Dodo, I'm selling mine while they are worth something.

Ironically enough, I got two PS2 games for my last two game purchases... That console isn't dying to me anytime soon thanks to ebay.

Guest said:
ps3= 2 ps2

Lol... except that you don't get to play PS3 games of Xbox 360 games and so on so forth... And don't say that there are no good games for the consoles..

But don't get me wrong, i'm not a console fanboy, i only own a PC and probably only will xD. PS2 sells strong probably coz of the japanese market i would say. The game developers are still pushing out games for the PS2 strongly, most notably eroge and dating sims and the like...

After all PS2 has the highest number of those kind of games and one of the only ways to play them... is to get a PS2. Most if not all Western developers have stopped with PS2 game developers so if you think about it, it would make sense..

Besides, Blu-Ray would be the new optical media format so as far as to say who needs it isn't really a strong arguement... Even my new laptop now has a Blu-Ray reader XD

Still, if you're looking at a machine that will last you a long time and will possibly only get outdated whenever you decide so, get a pc really o.o

A transaction is what you get vs what you give! Whether it has value to the individual is based on how that balances out. If you 'loose', then it probably isn't a transaction worth pursuing.

And it seems that PS3 (potential) customers feel that the purchase price of PS3's is too high, against a background where discretionary purchasing is being squeezed by the global economic climate.

Maybe now Sony will lower the price of the PS3 and then I might buy one and can enjoy having lots of USBs, a Blu-Ray disc, a viable media centre, and play one or two games as well!

Lol... except that you don't get to play PS3 games of Xbox 360 games and so on so forth... And don't say that there are no good games for the consoles..

well i guess there are PS3 and Xbox emulators for PC so you can play them on PC, pc can do things consoles cant
PC is highly customizable, consoles arent
consoles have good games but if they were PC in 1st place they would be a lot better (no auto aim in fps etc)
you can download games/soft for free (shame on you =)), you can burn a copy of game on cd-dvd(well you can but you'll need PC anyway)
you cant play PC games on consoles

you can do a lot more with PC, so if PC can do everything console can, isnt its wise to save up for PC?

Guest said:
ps3= 2 ps2

Oh dear.. go sit in the corner until your mum arrives..

I am not surpised that sony have had this occur. I dont rate the psp - my friend has one and i have yet to play a game on it for more than 30 minutes or so. I think the joypad is sub standard and the attempt at analogue sticks is ok maybe but not really.

I will probably buy a ps3 when it comes down in price and stops looking like a breville.

I am sure that the holidays will improve things - there are so many good releases on the way. Will the ps3 be affected by the delays in receiving their dlc compared to the xbox 360? I dont know if the people who buy the ps3 really care at this point.

By the way, my xbox 360 finally red ringed after 3 years and 2 months. I got a bolt and washer kit off ebay and fixed it myself for a fiver.

Duh--ITES (It's the economy stupid)

People have less disposable income, are worried about their jobs, are saving their bucks and are not willing to spend their dollars on overpriced consoles and games.

I'm constantly amazed at the surpised news blurbs about the downturn in business. It's as if common sense has gone the way of the Dodo.

Heh, I really hope the PS3 makes it. I finally broke down and bought it as my first console since the N64. I've been strictly a PC gamer until a few weeks ago, and I must say I am really enjoying the PS3. I bought that combo deal from Best Buy that comes with Metal Gear Solid 4 and Killzone 2, and I am very pleased with the purchase. Granted, it cost me around $500 after tax and the extended warranty, but I did not have a Blu-ray player so that was another influencing factor in the purchase. If it lasts half as long as the PS2, it was a good investment.

Hrmmm... a new plan, a new plan....

Oh, I dunno... maybe drop the PRICE? =] I foresaw their untimely demise before the release of PS3, due to their astronomical pricing scheme, and now it's coming to fruition. MUAHAHAHAHA

I just can't do the console thing anymore. It was fine when there were kids around and they were easily entertained by that and I'd join in with them. But now, to sit in front of my TV holding a cheap plastic controller that gives me a fraction of the options my mouse/keyboard can, watching graphics that are at very best maybe 2/3 the quality of what my gaming rig can crank out, just doesn't seem to be any point. Then you have cheaper pricing for PC games along with all the mods that PC gamers come up with....

(shrugs) I don't care if it came with 10 blu-ray players and how many other different games they have - I can barely keep up with all the decent PC game releases as is. So leaving the console world behind and sticking with PC gaming is a no brainer for me.

Tom, you make a good point and I'm almost right there with you. The only reason I still enjoy the game console, is because there are some games you just can't enjoy w/ a PC, imo. 3rd person shooters, for instance, like Star Wars: Force Unleashed, GTA4, etc. Now, you can enjoy them, I'm sure... if you have a controller for your PC, but if I have the option to play a game on a 40-50" screen vs a 19-24" screen, I'd rather opt for the bigger one.

Also, I wouldn't have the awesome abilities to use Netflix on my xb360, if I didn't have it... and I'd have to opt for a new Blu-Ray Player w/ network abilities (or another component w/ the same feature) - which are more expensive and can't play games.

Just a couple of thoughts. I understand where you're coming from, though. I never have enough time to play all of the games that I'd like... hell, I buy games all the time, but it sometimes takes me months before I actually sit down to play 'em. =X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back