Sony is working on a PS5 redesign set to start production in 2022

jsilva

In brief: A new report claims that Sony suppliers will start producing the components for a redesigned PlayStation 5 between the second and third quarter of 2022. One of those suppliers is TSMC, which will be responsible for producing the 6nm semi-custom AMD chip that the new PS5 model will feature.

The PlayStation 5 has been an outstanding success for Sony. Despite facing supply issues, the PS5 has sold over 7.8M consoles since launch, outselling the PS4 during the same period. With the demand for PS5 consoles hitting record highs, Sony is being forced to find solutions to increase supply.

Sony Interactive Entertainment's president Jim Ryan came out publicly to say that the company is ramping the PS5 production to meet demand, which should improve stock during the rest of the year.

Other solutions presented by Sony's VP Hiroki Totoki included finding a secondary source of supplies or changing the PS5 design. Although we still haven't heard anything about Sony expanding the supply network, a new report claims that Sony is indeed planning to launch a redesigned PlayStation 5 console with new hardware.

The redesigned console could feature an AMD-designed, semi-custom chip based on TSMC's 6nm process node. A 5nm chip was also considered, but it was said to be "too costly."

Production of the new PS5 chips will reportedly start in Q2-Q3 2022. There's no word yet about external changes to the console.

All PlayStation consoles have featured at least one hardware revision, but the PS4 was the only one to receive a performance upgrade with the PS4 Pro. If Sony launches a new PS5 model with a 6nm chip, there's the unlikely possibility we may also see a performance improvement coming with it.

Permalink to story.

This seems way too soon to be telling people, heck people can't even buy the current model, so announce the possibly faster, cooler running and likely different looking model coming out next year?

Probably late 2022. Slim versions almost always use less power, costs less, and stay cooler. By that time you'll likely be able to get some decent games for less than $70.00 too. I might just wait until then to buy a PS5. I'm mainly a PC gamer, but Sony has some really good exclusives that are hard to pass up.

Probably late 2022. Slim versions almost always use less power, costs less, and stay cooler. By that time you'll likely be able to get some decent games for less than $70.00 too. I might just wait until then to buy a PS5. I'm mainly a PC gamer, but Sony has some really good exclusives that are hard to pass up.
I would do exactly that too, if it would not be even more hard to get (or too expensive) a new GPU to upgrade my old one... So I was looking more and more at buying the PS5 now and waiting for the GPU upgrade next year.

But now this rumor, so now I don't know what to do :)

We know Sony control TDP of these first generation machines by throttling of the GPU and CPU on predetermined power curves. There is a hard power limit. From what I have read it isn't possible to have both quite at peak performance together, it is slightly compromised for best efficiency which makes sense.

At first this seemed like a strange choice, but in theory it means any improvement of the manufacturing process could allow both areas of the SoC to hit their peak clocks simultaneously, and stay there. It's entirely possible later revised models could actually have slightly better performance on existing software.

We have seen this when Microsoft bumped clocks on later Xbox One models to the point it can make a noticeable difference in many games. I was thinking about this while watching RE Village performance where PS5 is a little behind Series X. Not by much but just dropping off the 60FPS cap a bit more regularly. Perhaps a minor node enhancement could improve situations like that.

I got a PS5 via PS direct. You can get em but it takes a few attempts to win the shop queue raffle. And you need to engage with a discord server to get stock notifications. The discord I'm currently using is Nerd Speak - https://discord.gg/QtgvhQMV. It may not be the best one, but its how I got mine. The PS5 is essentially a PS4 Pro Pro at this point but I wanted to play R&C:Rift Apart when it releases. I do appreciate the performance patches for existing PS4 games to unlock framerates on the PS5. Astro's Playroom is an excellent tech demo and worth completing. Its almost shocking to see PS4 games are getting patches for PS5. If you are considering getting a late PS4, just get a PS5 instead. I'm really enjoying my PS5 but its not a bad idea to wait it out either.

We know Sony control TDP of these first generation machines by throttling of the GPU and CPU on predetermined power curves. There is a hard power limit. From what I have read it isn't possible to have both quite at peak performance together, it is slightly compromised for best efficiency which makes sense.

At first this seemed like a strange choice, but in theory it means any improvement of the manufacturing process could allow both areas of the SoC to hit their peak clocks simultaneously, and stay there. It's entirely possible later revised models could actually have slightly better performance on existing software. If they increase the power budget in the redesign for both the CPU and GPU to be able to hit max TDP
Their whole reasoning for it was so developers could decide themselves where to allocate the power budget and "boost" the CPU or GPU when needed. By doing so there is a lower max TDP for the entire console making it easier and cheaper to cool. Which honestly is fine although I personally find it weird.

However by removing said limitations they would basically screw over early adopters. They would get less consistent performance (because of the balancing act of the power budget) with lower thermals as well.

Their whole reasoning for it was so developers could decide themselves where to allocate the power budget and "boost" the CPU or GPU when needed. By doing so there is a lower max TDP for the entire console making it easier and cheaper to cool. Which honestly is fine although I personally find it weird.

However by removing said limitations they would basically screw over early adopters. They would get less consistent performance (because of the balancing act of the power budget) with lower thermals as well.

It is usually the case later hardware is in general better. It doesn't mean that developers move their targets to the newer hardware though, they would remain tied to the first generation.

It just means where games stretch the machine a bit too much potentially a later revision which can hold boost clocks better will have a slight performance edge.

I always find it a strange attitude that new hardware 'screws over' people who bought first though. It's a fact of life the tech you buy will be superseded by something better. More storage, better boost clocks, better cooling. Whatever- you know it's coming. Your choice to buy and when.

I would do exactly that too, if it would not be even more hard to get (or too expensive) a new GPU to upgrade my old one... So I was looking more and more at buying the PS5 now and waiting for the GPU upgrade next year.

But now this rumor, so now I don't know what to do :)
Yeah, I got lucky and got an RTX 3080 in November of last year. Right now, its almost impossible to get one for a decent price. If I didn't have the 3080, I would probably be trying to get a PS5 right now. But, with the 3080 I'll have plenty of games to play, when the PS5 has accumulated enough hard to pass up exclusives, I'll likely pick one up. The nice thing about the new consoles is so many games were upgraded that you could get some PS4 exclusives you missed and get some great enhancements. There's not a 'killer exclusive', at least not for me, to buy a PS5 right now. I personally like what MS is doing, though it does make it pointless to buy an Xbox if you are PC gamer, but Xbox Game Pass PC is simply amazing. So I'm good for while. I can wait.

Inevitable, kinda expected. That's one of the reasons to "wait" instead of jumping right away to get one. I'm glad I waited.. until now I'm not that excited for any PS5 exclusives. This PS5 redesign should be a good step up from the original.

If you don't have a PS5 yet, let me be the first to say, you ain't missing nothing.
Hopefully the redesign is better.
Hopefully the scalper issues are resolved by then.
I had ps4 from launch day, and I got ps5 on release as well. The experience is dramatically better on ps 5 and really brought me back to gaming more than my pc. Excellent hardware with one of best games around with great bc. What not to like.

I had ps4 from launch day, and I got ps5 on release as well. The experience is dramatically better on ps 5 and really brought me back to gaming more than my pc. Excellent hardware with one of best games around with great bc. What not to like.
Oh definitely, backwards compatibility definitely makes early adoption of the PS5 more attractive than the PS4, specifically for those that didn't own a PS4. But, if you already have a PS4 there is no extremely pressing reason to buy a PS5. The enhancements are great, but you are probably talking about games you have already completed. The primary reason to buy a PS5, for a PS4 owner is the promise of future exclusives. At the moment, there is not really a must have exclusive on PS5.

It is usually the case later hardware is in general better. It doesn't mean that developers move their targets to the newer hardware though, they would remain tied to the first generation.

It just means where games stretch the machine a bit too much potentially a later revision which can hold boost clocks better will have a slight performance edge.

I always find it a strange attitude that new hardware 'screws over' people who bought first though. It's a fact of life the tech you buy will be superseded by something better. More storage, better boost clocks, better cooling. Whatever- you know it's coming. Your choice to buy and when.

It is not that it's new, I'm all for them refining the PS5 designs by node improvements, cooling improvements etc but in this specific case it's more than that. Sony actively chose for this limited power budget. By increasing that power budget to let the GPU and CPU boost both at max at the same time means they have changed a crucial part (and flaw imo) of the PS5's design.

Well the fact the killer app for this console is the ability to run PS4 games properly. $600 just to play last gen games? Outside of sony first party games you can get these all on PC, and have been able to for years.

The big draw of a console is its exclusives, and the PS5 really doesnt have a killer app. And for $5-600 plus $70+ per game it's going to need one hell of a library. The PS4 was a major dissapointment in that regard.

I'll wait for the 2TB model - By that time will have collected lots of games on my PS sub.

Yeah, additional storage and 1440p support is a must before I’ll even consider getting a PS5. If that never happens, well... I survived missing out on the PS4 exclusives, so I’m sure I’ll survive missing out on the PS5 exclusives.

Maybe by then they will have some actually new AAA titles ready to ship. I'll bet we'll see it leapfrog the Xbox. Interesting to see hardware changes so soon.

Glad I was able to recently grab the OG PS5 it's been amazing, and now that they are redesigning and making an inferior slim version I'll be happy to know I got the more powerful version.

I seriously doubt a "shrink" to TSMC 6nm will result in a significant drop in power consumption/ heat. TSMC 6nm is known to be a refined 7nm. So if the current 7nm requires a big cooling solution, I don't think 6nm will miraculously allow for a significantly downsized cooling solution. But I do look forward to a more compact design, hopefully without compromising on cooling or noise.

Glad I was able to recently grab the OG PS5 it's been amazing, and now that they are redesigning and making an inferior slim version I'll be happy to know I got the more powerful version.
Nowhere did the article mentioned that the refresh will be "inferior". This is not going to be a PS4 vs PS4 Pro kind of difference. If you are just comforting yourself thinking that the refresh will be inferior, then you won't have to worry. Performance I feel will be mostly consistent between the new and old design. The key difference is mostly going to be more power efficient, lower heat output (but will still run hot if they choose to use a smaller cooler), which may result in a slightly smaller form factor.

Honestly, as a PS5 owner... It's not even the point of not being able to find a PS5. It's the fact that there is not one good game or exclusive for the PS5 that has been worth getting at all. I've honestly have played rocket league and modern warfare more than anything on the PS5... Which isn't anything special.

If you don't have a PS5 yet, let me be the first to say, you ain't missing nothing.

Absolute rubbish, the PS5 is a great bit of kit, it is worth buying now even if you only ever use it as a souped up PS4 Pro and ignore the PS5 games and DS5 features (which when used right really are game changing). Take God of War for instance on the PS4 it makes the hardware sound like a hovercraft but the PS5 plays it at a rock solid 60fps at 4K but most importantly it does it in silence.

My Digital Edition at £359 cost less than my original PlayStation, WipEout and a memory card did way back in 1995, the console is exceptional value and has a bright future to simply dismiss it outright is ridiculous.

Only if you currently own a PS4 Pro. There probably aren't enough native PS5 games to justify the upgrade just yet. Having said that the hardware itself is excellent. And as for those who are heading into Sony's eco system for the first time, PS5 with PS plus collection is fantastic value.

Honestly, as a PS5 owner... It's not even the point of not being able to find a PS5. It's the fact that there is not one good game or exclusive for the PS5 that has been worth getting at all. I've honestly have played rocket league and modern warfare more than anything on the PS5... Which isn't anything special.
You really don't appreciate what you have.

Not one good game? How about more than one:
- God of War (60 fps on PS5)
- Ghost of Tsushima (60 fps on PS5)
- 2 Spiderman games (60 fps, RT)
- Demon Souls (PS5 exclusive and sole reason to own a PS5)
- Returnal (PS5 exclusive)
- Ratchet & Clank (PS5 exclusive coming next month - will set a new standard)

So why did you get a PS5 if you don't like/play these games?

Back