Sony: PlayStation 3 to be 3D-capable via firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In a presentation with investors, Sony revealed that it would introduce 3D stereoscopic technology to the PlayStation 3 as a part of its strategy to achieve profitability. The company plans to introduce a system-wide firmware update that will add 3D functionality to the PlayStation 3.

Sony is aiming to lead the 3D market -- and it shows. The company said during September's IFA technology conference that it planned to deliver 3D-capable TVs, Blu-ray players, and VAIO laptops. It also wants to install 3,000 Sony-crafted 3D theater projectors in cinemas by the end of 2010.

As for the PlayStation 3, Sony is expected to provide partnered developers with 3D-specific tools, so they can begin making games for the platform. That said, most consumers will have to upgrade their TVs in order to experience PS3 games in the most effective 3D modes.

Sony's CEO, Howard Stringer believes that new technology like 3D and the upcoming PS3 Motion Controller will drive the company's PlayStation business into the black by March 2011.

Permalink to story.

This does not surprise me at all, the PS3 does use a Nvidia based GPU. Not sure if it really has the horsepower to actually do 3D games on the other hand.

So lets see to get the most out of the ps3 you bought you had to go buy new high definition tv. Now to again get the most out a the ps3 you have to go out and again buy a new high definition but this time make sure it's 3d capable. They really are genus's over at Sony at the moment.

Wow, a tech company coming out with products that make you want to go buy more of thier products. Man what a horrible company. And you dont HAVE to buy anything. If you dont wanna play a 3D game in 2 years, than dont. Cause if the M$ XBOX comes out with 3D gaming, I am sure they will make it playable on there current counsel, and work with the TV you allready have. Again WOW!!

you must be a ps3 hater since you're talkin thru the wrong hole!!! for 1 yes you would need a new tv unless u have a top of the range hd at the mo? and 2 it will b playable on this console as it will be added in an update n as for xbox if they're so consumer friendly why do they charge you for xbox live. 4 all you ps3 haters don't knock it till u try it, i like both consoles i had an xbox to tie me over till ps3 came out n i have to say ps3 kicks xbox's ***

I've got 2 Samsung DLP sets that are (and have been for more than 2 years) 3-D ready. As far as I know, i won't have to buy a new set to get a 3D picture.

Guest said:
you must be a ps3 hater since you're talkin thru the wrong hole!!! for 1 yes you would need a new tv unless u have a top of the range hd at the mo? and 2 it will b playable on this console as it will be added in an update n as for xbox if they're so consumer friendly why do they charge you for xbox live. 4 all you ps3 haters don't knock it till u try it, i like both consoles i had an xbox to tie me over till ps3 came out n i have to say ps3 kicks xbox's ***

I'll like to know what it was I typed that obviously made me a PS3 hater? I was picking on the PS3 as that was the topic of the article. Had Microsoft had as similar announcement I would have poked fun at them as well.

My entire point was the fact that the majority of people are just getting used to having HD technology and they are already looking to change it. The biggest issue I have is that the different television manufactures are not co-operation on the implementation of 3d technology. Everybody has their own ideas and technologies. I'm sure they prohably won't be compatible. I cannot see any current generation console that adds 3d being anymore more than just at worse a gimmick and at best a testing ground for the next generation of consoles.

By the way, 3 comes before 4.

It's free and you don't have to pay extra for this feature(except for a new TV if you don't have one already) - Why are we arguing about if it's good or bad? Free will always be good even if it's bad.

Puiu said:
It's free and you don't have to pay extra for this feature(except for a new TV if you don't have one already) - Why are we arguing about if it's good or bad? Free will always be good even if it's bad.

I don't know a free kick in the head or punch in the face do not sound too appealing to me. We'll see if this ends up being a useful update or not. I'd be happy if it is.

My history teacher explained this to us once and its been awhile since then but...i believe "Into the black" is a business phrase meaning that they have broken even with their expenses/paid off their debts and are now gaining money. The opposite would be "in the red" meaning they are losing money or in debt.

I'll like to know what it was I typed that obviously made me a PS3 hater? I was picking on the PS3 as that was the topic of the article. Had Microsoft had as similar announcement I would have poked fun at them as well.

My entire point was the fact that the majority of people are just getting used to having HD technology and they are already looking to change it. The biggest issue I have is that the different television manufactures are not co-operation on the implementation of 3d technology. Everybody has their own ideas and technologies. I'm sure they prohably won't be compatible. I cannot see any current generation console that adds 3d being anymore more than just at worse a gimmick and at best a testing ground for the next generation of consoles.

By the way, 3 comes before 4.

sorry tekka i should have said i wasn't talking to you i was talking to the comment below your original post

I'd guess a 3d TV ready would be one with 120hertz or higher and has a good resolution. But I'd think the game wouldn't look as good since the PS3 is logically displaying 2 images with slight angle perceptions. I think my current TV could do 3d, and if it compatible, I'll surely be saving up for a Ps3 and a 3d games....and a controller that doesn't suck.

I'm not a fan of the 3D craze, and unfortunately for me the concept is making ground in more than just movie theaters...wonder when the 3D kindle is coming out?

hello ...

SONY has announced this some time ago, 3D into home by 2010 ;) ...

so yes, would be one great addon, i've seen the 3D version of Wipeout on some sites & quite interesting.

to those now arguing the PROS & CONS ... no need to do so!

- SONY is adding something great to an existing system, so if you already have it, no purchase, just a free update.
- those having no HD TV or PS3, will have better options now
- such updates do not force you to go after a new TV, now if you can afford OK

so what i think would still be better is allowing the system to work on normal HD TV with a shutter glass.

SONY is like any other company .. doing business! as long as it brings quality products with high features i'll stick to it.

i just wish SONY will bring more features on a worldwide scale, for till now i don't have support or PS Store for my country & god knows that i would really love to buy stuffs, have some mega video streaming services.

cheers!

so yes, would be one great addon, i've seen the 3D version of Wipeout on some sites & quite interesting.
dude, how do you know what it looks like? are you seeing the sites with a 3d monitor and glasses or something... or are they just those cross-eyed images

i have read that the Nvidia based RSX is quite powerful-more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultra cards put together(not SLI). it will surely deliver a great 3D experience. its cell processor is also quite powerful with 8 cores.

Don't know what the issue is, it will come FREE firmware update and like it said in the article consumers will have to upgrade their TVs in order to experience PS3 games in the MOST EFFECTIVE 3D modes. So games will work in 3d like when i watched JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH on blu ray and it came with a bonus disc with the movie in 3d and 4 sets of 3d glasses. The movie itself sucked but the 3d version was pretty good and i watched that on a normal lcd so unless i want the BEST 3d gaming experience i bet all i need are an awesome set of red and green glasses.

It's all vaporware as of now. Till we see proof, then well talk. Right now....360 is leading the pack with innovative hadware techology (Natal)

I would like to get a PS3, however I only know a handful of ppl that actually have it. The rest have a 360. Which is actually the reason why I chose to purchase that console. Not because it was a better system. If your planning on gaming with your friends online then its very hard to buy a console if the majority of your friends don't have it.

It's nice that the world is moving forward to the new 3D technology. Still it's sad that all the vendors will definitely find a way how to get money from all the users and buyers. Like 3D TV's / Monitors, maybe some sort of special glasses (Like nvidia 3d?). There are people who simply can't allow themselves to spend that kind of money on electronics.

Uhmm...Not really sure what you mean here. Unless you buy a Sony television, what benefit does Sony get if you buy a new TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back