Sony posts $439 million annual loss, has high hopes for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Sony has announced its yearly earnings, posting a $439 million net loss for fiscal 2009, which ended March 31. A decline in both hardware and software sales for the PSP and PS2 contributed to that figure, with former selling 4.5 million less hardware units and 5.9 million less software units, while the latter dropped by 600,000 and 47.8 million units – an inevitability as the antiquated console fades in popularity.

As lousy as all of that sounds, it's an improvement over last year, when the electronics maker reported an annual loss of $1 billion amidst the global recession. Despite lackluster sales elsewhere, the PS3 recently achieved profitability and sales soared to 13 million, up from 10.1 million the year prior.

Sony expects that success to carry through to the 2010 fiscal year, predicting PS3 hardware shipments to total 15 million units. The company also foresees a 404% jump on-year in operating profits with a 5% increase in sales – which may not be too ambitious if this 3D thing pans out as expected.

Permalink to story.

Good! I don't like Sony, First they take away Features from their ps3 (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/12/air-force-disappointed-by-ps3s-other-os-removal/)

They're trying to force feed the Fad aptly named 3D, and almost all their tech is over priced, bar the ps3 and PSP for what they are their prices are reasonable but things like their laptops and computers are way over priced considering you would get the same if not better performance from a HP or Lenovo.

I used to be a Sony Fanboy in the old ps2 days, After building a PC buying a Nokia phone and getting an xbox 360, I can see how much rubbish Sony come up with.

My entire entertainment system is Sony and I couldn't be happier. Not only is the PS3 superior to the Xbox, but Sony also makes the best TVs (research the Bravia line). They are "pushing" the 3D "fad" because everybody else is too. They are simply trying to be the first to the market to sell more of thier products (smart business thinking).

I agree with burty117 that their computers are overpriced, but so are Dell, HP, pretty much all the PC manufacturers. People who know better, build their own PCs.

IFLATLINEI

I did research the Bravia TV's. I havent owned any other TV besides Sony TV's for years. But my 32 inch Bravia LCD dies after 1 1/2 years. The TV cost me $650 and they wanted $1000 to replace the malfunctioned LCD panel. Sony would do nothing for a loyal customer even if all my equipment was Sony. DVD Players, PS3, Sorround Sound rack system, Walkmans, CD player, PC. Out of warranty TV i know. My responsibility I know but even still. Sony could and should have made me somekind of deal to purchase a new one. $100 gift card would have done it but instead I purchased an LG.

My PS3 will be my last console. Home was a bust, Party chat never came, They stole my Linux, and many other features were poorly implemented like custom soundtracks. Not to mention i have this extremely powerfull platform here thats wasting away. I should be able to do so much more and so much better but greedy corps like Sony and their partners disgust me.

The worts offense is lack of Racing sim on this console. Gran Turismo LMAO Where the F%$# is it???

natefalk said:
My entire entertainment system is Sony and I couldn't be happier. Not only is the PS3 superior to the Xbox, but Sony also makes the best TVs (research the Bravia line). They are "pushing" the 3D "fad" because everybody else is too. They are simply trying to be the first to the market to sell more of thier products (smart business thinking).

I agree with burty117 that their computers are overpriced, but so are Dell, HP, pretty much all the PC manufacturers. People who know better, build their own PCs.

Mate, I agree that the ps3 "superior" over the xbox, but only because of the blu-ray function, appart from that, I cannot see much difference.

And I have researched the Bravia TV's, I used to own one! until i got rid of it because compared to a decent Samsung or LG or even Phillips they are rubbish! Hard to use, bad quality image at high res compared to the latter makes and it took far more power to. The sound quality fair enough was better than the samsung ones, but LG came with its own speakers that could be detached and the Phillips one was just as good. I'm not the only one who thinks this either, read some reviews across the internet and Bravia are not the most highly rated by any stretch of the imagination.

When it comes to computers, Yes a lot of them are over priced but Sony's are MORE over priced compared to the competition and laptops you can't build easily, why would I choose something like a Mac or sony when I can get better specs and just as good build quality from Lenovo, Dell (XPS line only) or Asus?

After BEING a sony fan (i guess i almost had a similar setup to you by your post) I would never go back, their are definately better products out there that sony simply cannot beat.

One example is B&W or Bose make way better surround sounds or sound systems for nearer the price than a sony, fair enough they are more expensive than the sonys but sony has this silly price point between really good products and awesome products but doesn't ever fit into the awesome catogory so it just ends up being a GOOD product that you paid handsomely for instead of saving an extra £50 on a Bose or £100 for a B&W equivalent and get an awesome product.

That was just an example so don't take that theroy and apply it to everything. Just my experience is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back