Sony readies "It Only Does Everything" PS3 ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Sony has been very busy working on the PlayStation 3 lately, making several important changes that are sure to affect how the console is perceived by the public. On top of announcing the much-anticipated PS3 Slim, they also backtracked on a long history of standing resolute on prices by offering a $100 cut. All of this has lead to renewed interest in the console and it looks like Sony isn't wasting the opportunity.

The company has prepared a new marketing campaign to refresh the eyes of potential consumers. Dubbed “It Only Does Everything,” the ads focus on playing up the console's vast functionality, all while poking some fun at the months of price cut rumors and the company's consistent denial. The ads are clearly aimed at people who have been following console development for some time, as opposed to a more general audience.

Indeed pointing out some of the very issues they've been criticized for in the past is a nice way to break the ice and introduce the new price point along with the slimmed-down version of the console. Will it succeed? Check out the ads which are embedded after the jump.

Permalink to story.

Finally SONY!!! COME ON,.. Finally!
I love these ads...lol...lol.. sooo refreshing.

"It does everything but play PS2 games"
That's not true....My earlier version PS3 plays ps2 games, and the PS3 slim does play ps2 games...as long as you download them from PShome.

So if you want BackCompat.. Buy the earlier fat models, if you can get them now.
If you want to play ps2 games on your non backcompat. models....then just download them from the playstation network.

It does everything but play PS2 games (without jumping through hoops or repurchasing them, if at all)... Oh, and yah, umm you can't put Linux on the new models, sorry we had to ruin that great little feature for y'all too... But shhh, don't say nothin...
Guess you can't have too much truth in advertising, sometimes.

catchy ads but i think the "does everything" concept was a mistep since they REMOVED functionality the original ps3 had. not only for ps2 games, but there's also less usb ports, no other OS support..i mean wtf. why dont they just say, "the ps3 doesn't do everything anymore, but it's still better than a ****in shitbox 360."

Those are funny. Any yes, it may not play your PS2 games or allow Linux, but it's a PS3. My early series does both. I suppose if it were such and issue people could have considered getting one when those were options. I only have 2 PS2 games which I rarely play and why would I want Linux on my console? I have a PC if I want to install Linux. Big deal! Do any other consoles allow third party OS install? Is it really necessary to have 1 machine to do everything? If that 1 machine goes down, there goes your everything... Get a grip, people! In our world of "under $300 (299.99)" and "subject to rules and regulations" it should be pretty obvious that "everything" does not mean "everything." It's sad, yes, but true.

I thought they were good commercials.
My argumentative inner-self however, can't help but point out that.
"I bet it still won't stream .mkv files from my computer, WITH subtitles"

the girlfriend ad is good , but it only does everything , there refering to the ps3 being a multi media , not it only does everything the fat one did , backward compatible and installing mustn't be a "must have" , what ya think supersmashbrada . but christ you guys are a picky bunch !

LOL good commercial.
I thought the PS guy was going to ask the girl out at the end....
I just want to stream mkv files who cares about the subs.

Ur saying the ps3 is better that da shitbox360? Dude, before u strat bashing MS... Look @ thwe number beeeyach. U have no idea that thew 360 just blow da **** out of the ps3. I have both ssytems. To tell u da truth, Xbox live along KILLS da ps3 not inlcuding the game attached ratio.. do the math and see for ur self.

hello .. i have the big behemoth that plays PS2 ;)
well what i don't understand is why people keeps whining .... i think it's in man's nature!
i'm sick of having a Next-Gen war each time there's an article about PS3 or Xbox360 !!!
1st - some whined about PS3 being so expensive & having less titles (still sold more than 20 millions & only 10% failure rate). i still don't understand how some calculate the fact of having less title .. when i try, it's weird but i always get more if not equal to other consoles !!! .. humm..
2nd - others whined again about the PS3 price, while the list of titles was more than considerable & great TRUE EXCLUSIVES were announced (Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, MAG, The Last Guardian, etc ...) .. yes SONY lost some (Tekken, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, etc...)
3rd - Now the price has dropped (for all) & with the new SLIM coming up ... some still whined but this time about Backward compatibility, no linux, bla bla bla ... well let me tell you, you can still buy the big older ones if you need such features. i wonder how many of you will certainly play a PS2 games on the PS3 & more how many of exisiting owners did install linux & how many will !!!
i just think that those who have a PS3, have no reason to whine about the new ones, those not having one, must decide right now of what they want or else wait & buy only a Media Center and High Level Gaming machine ...
i heard rumors about the demo release of God of War 3 on a Blu-Ray along with God of War 1 + II, so i hope SONY removed the necessity to play such titles on PS2 compatible console by porting them to the PS3, even if no gfx enhancement made.
if you would just stop whining & buy a PS3 because you want PS3 games ... or please stop nagging people because you won't buy one & you prefer your 31 millions sold console, yet with 54% failure rate ... . it's a matter of choice .. no need for a Next-Gen war, no need to whine! either you buy it or you don't !!!
cheers!

Guest said:
Ur saying the ps3 is better that da shitbox360? Dude, before u strat bashing MS... Look @ thwe number beeeyach. U have no idea that thew 360 just blow da **** out of the ps3. I have both ssytems. To tell u da truth, Xbox live along KILLS da ps3 not inlcuding the game attached ratio.. do the math and see for ur self.
Congratulations! You win the "illiterate Xbox fanboy of the week" award! Your gift certificate for a free class in spelling and grammar will arrive soon.
Any everyone IS doing the math... Each console has its own exclusives, most titles that don't fall in that category are dual releases (triple if the Wii is developed for too). Yes Xbox Live is great, we know, we know. But, interestingly enough, the slim PS3 is announced and Microsoft drops the price of their Xbox360 Elite system to match PS3 pricing, yet on every performance standpoint the PS3 is superior to their top of the line equipment- graphics/processor power, storage size, integrated features (like wi-fi, pull out your wallet to add it on the Xbox), blu-ray player...
So, maybe you should look at the numbers yourself?

Why all the bitching? if you like it buy it, if not then don't. Stick with your broken half the time machines. Why do you want to run OS systems on a gaming machine? that's why we have computers!

Wait, did someone just justify the ridding of their PS2 collection because they can repay for all of it on their non-backwards compatible system? Which is on purpose so morons like you buy it all again?
I don't feel a need to fight PS3 fanboyism anymore, its obvious how clueless they are as humans.

Vrmithrax said:
Guest said:
Congratulations! You win the "illiterate Xbox fanboy of the week" award! Your gift certificate for a free class in spelling and grammar will arrive soon.
Any everyone IS doing the math... Each console has its own exclusives, most titles that don't fall in that category are dual releases (triple if the Wii is developed for too). Yes Xbox Live is great, we know, we know. But, interestingly enough, the slim PS3 is announced and Microsoft drops the price of their Xbox360 Elite system to match PS3 pricing, yet on every performance standpoint the PS3 is superior to their top of the line equipment- graphics/processor power, storage size, integrated features (like wi-fi, pull out your wallet to add it on the Xbox), blu-ray player...
So, maybe you should look at the numbers yourself?
The best reply...Vrmithrax you rock!!!

Does everything... 'cept Linux, PS2 games... But hey, that's like saying "sure she's hot, but she can't play guitar better than Carlos Santana or beat Valentino Rossi in a race."
TThe point is that there's already something that does those things exceptionally well. So why replace the best with something good enough?

Only trouble is, "everything" includes a lot of failures, and you cannot get parts or drivers without great difficulty.

yeah .. funny ads ;) for sure ...
there's no need to argue ... the PS3 has reached it's paroxysm in terms of Quality & soon for Quantity ...
for those still wanting BC or Linux ... get the old system while stock lasts - same price!
now, it really does everything .. for do much more than any other games console @ the same price & the newer softs coming makes it the better & with a 10% failure rate compared to 54% of another one that just came to a price cut too .. well the WII wins ;)
buy what you need & what you want, be it Xbox360, PS3 or WII ... I got my PC & a PS3 ... will upgrade my PC when Diablo III comes out.
If God of War I & II are released as PS3 portage, i'll never miss BC again ...
I tried Linux once on my PS3, was too much burden & didn't find a practical use of it, hey i've got a PC - the best gaming machine around + linux compatible + windows compatible, everyone's happy ... ;)
I have my PS3 for: (DONE PLAY: Heavenly Sword, Uncharted Drake's fortune / En cours: LittleBigPlanet, Mortorstorm pacific rift, Burnout Paradise, MK vs DC, Assassin's Creed, Virtua Fighter 5, My God of War I & II PS2, Ordered: Batman AA (with JOKER & batcave, no way i'll miss that!) Pre-Ordered: Uncharted 2 - among thieves, Heavy rain, Last Guardian, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, DC Universe online) ... Will get some mega Multis too: Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, maybe NFS Shift & Castlevania) If money left i'll also go for now not exclusive: Meta Gear Solid, Final Fantasy XIII) .. OMG must become Rich in 2009 ... ;)
cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back