TechSpot

Sony unveils the PlayStation 4, coming this holiday season

By Shawn Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony introduced the PlayStation 4 at a media event on Wednesday evening nearly seven years after launching the company’s current console back in 2006. Some 1,200 members of the press were on hand to witness the unveiling of a new...

Read more

2. TypeR181

TypeR181 TS Rookie

The new virtual PS4 exists in the clouds ???? teaser release that disappointed majorly!! Selling all my ps stuff getting a shield :)

3. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Booster Posts: 577   +98

It all comes down to pricing if it costs over $400 it'll be a failure for sure. The PS3 started taking off once the sticker price lowered. Have to remember the new Xbox will be coming out as well and if PS4 is more expensive then it could be their downfall.

psycros likes this.
  4. Jcanno0759

Jcanno0759 TS Rookie

5. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280   +32

So much for all the PS3 games I bought... what a waste of money

avoidz and psycros like this.
  6. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 511   +84

It'll come in between $350 - $400. No way will Sony price this at $499.

7. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 531   +146

Sounds like a 3.5mm jack for the controller, good. Sounds powerful. Easy architecture (saving grace for the devs).
    Predictive downloading sounds dumb and download heavy. Sounds too powerful (expensive). Seems too early (much sooner than the xbox).
    Otherwise this looks interesting. Will be waiting on the announcement of the xbox 720 (or whatever, whenever they should announce it this year) to compare...

8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

I guess $550USD in USA. Even that's a bit steep though.

9. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

I have a hunch the price will be equivalent to the launch price of the ps3 (which was waaaaaaay too much). My guess is $499 for the 120gig model and $599 for the 250gig model.

10. @ dennis777
    Wait so what's your PS3 sitting there for?

Slayter likes this.
  11. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,316   +268

You have to dump your memory on how to use a PS3 controller in order to make space for "how to use a PS4 controller." Now if the controllers are backward compatible then that fixes everything ;) I also read somewhere that they're expecting a $399 release price.

12. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280   +32

I buy new ps4 - ps4 cant play ps3 titles - will have 2 console in living room - its like buying an xbox360 even you have a ps3

hope you understand

psycros likes this.
  13. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 682   +47

Advanced PC graphics...Whats that a 9800GT? or a 86x CPU that's not detailed enough for my tech tastes. I do like the 8GB ram, for a console that is juicy and very needed. As for price, this baby already has been rumored for Mid 400s and a bigger HDD probably with some accessories for mid 500s. As a console it sounds....appealing, but the price is a problem...Like others said, even if the 720 is weaker(as it has been rumored) by even 50%, or 33% if it's sticker price is lower gamers will flock and Sony will lose big time. But I guess you get what you pay for right? PS3 in my opinion was a far superior product then 360s mess.

danhodge likes this.
  14. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 718   +221

SIGH..another site completely blows the headline. Nothing was "unveiled". We've gotten a handful of details and a look at what is in all likelihood a prototype controller that could still see changes. And their biggest selling points? Social media and sharing your in-progress games. Like anyone gives a f#*k about watching you play a game, LOL! Sony made complete fools of themselves with this meaningless waste of two hours.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  15. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

8GB "GDDR5"? The GeForce Titan only has 6GB. This thing could blow all gaming PCs out of the water.

16. 3 way SLI try 18GB GDDR5!!!!!!!!

17. 8GB unified memory is not 8GB GDDR5. It's more like 2GB DDR3 for graphics.

18. Cloud Cloud Cloud.

Don't they reign down on you?

St1ckM4n likes this.
  19. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

"On a performance level, we are told that the system is capable of rendering 30,000 polygons in real time. For comparison, Heavy Rain on the PlayStation 3 utilized just 15,000 polygons."

Huh... Beyond Two Souls is going to do 30,000 polygons per character and that is a PS3 game.

The PS4 is probably going to be more like 200,000+

20. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,498   +306

Am I the only one who thought last night was very impressive?

The game engines look stunning and the console has a while before they bring out the full potential, so things are only going to look better from here.

I like the fact that its x86, meaning PC gamers can now moan if the port isn't very good as there isn't much of an excuse anymore, I like the 8GB of GDDR5 Ram, I like the share button, I like the GPGPU accelerated Physics, These are firsts for consoles and are looking darn impressive, the old man with the expressions was particularly impressive to me, I am genuinely excited about this console, I think Sony are taking gaming seriously this time round, to have Bungie turn up? and Blizzard?! that's feat almost on its own.

21. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

I was very impressed and quite frankly did not expect them to achieve those levels of graphics. And we haven't even seen what their premiere developers have done yet, IE: Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, and Sony Santa Monica.

22. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,498   +306

Imagine what Polyphony Digital could so with that raw power! and RAM for that matter, the amount of detail they could add to a track (and car) could be astonishing!

I just wish they could have released a few more details and actually show off the console, we didn't get to see it at all and they didn't go into the details such as hard drive space (and if it is changeable like the ps3) or show the OS properly from boot up, Hell my stream cut off a few times but I didn't even hear a mention on Blu-ray! but I think thats a given :p

23. Original Crysis had more than 2M poligons on some scenes on highest settings. 30k is very low...

24. ghasmanjr

The 7970 has 3gb of GDDR5. My 680 has 2gb of ram and it's the same speed as the 7970. The 680 with 4gb is barely faster than the 680 with 2gb. The amount of ram is not what counts for a GPU.

25. ghasmanjr

And the 8gb of ram was for the PS4's system memory, not the GPU

danhodge likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.